Discuss NVQ3, 17th and 2391 order in which to obtain help......? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MrSkipsey

Right guys, and girls.
As you all know Im swanning around like a butchers dog with 2 appendages after passing my 2330 L3.
My next stage is obviously the NVQ3, 17th and 2391 but in what order?

Im currently working for an agency, rubbish money, but still a job on the DLR [Docklands Light Railway] insatlling lighting, running containment and cables.
My lecturer at college sems to think that I will not cover enough to obtain my NVQ3, Ive phoned a few companies that provide the course but none can be specific. Can anyone give me any advice as to what I will have to cover to get the NVQ3? Ive been told a list of jobs but no one seems to have 'the' list.
Im taking photos of work but TBH not really sure what I should be taking photos of. I dont want to pay for the course only to be stuck in limbo for a few years chasing jobs to finish the course.
Also, should I be looking at an AM2? Or is that for apprentacises? Im 30 years old with no government or company funding or help.

Also,.....I held out on the 17th untill I had the 2330 L2 & 3 under my belt, I know some of you might see this is a backwards way but when I did the L2, the 17th was 'soon' to come out so opted to wait rather than do the 16th and then a 17th update [extra costs].

Im under the impression, or to put it bluntly, think the best way for me to go is the 17th first and then the 2391 if I feel that I can complete it.

My mate on the other hand is going to go for the 2391 then the 17th. which I personally think is suicide!

Any help with these guys?
Mike.

Don`t know if you`ve already checked these out

Electrical NVQ3 | Practising Operatives Scheme NVQ3 Electricians ~ Clarkson Evans

don`t necessarily recommend the company but there seems to be a useful amount of info on their pages re: NVQ - hope it`s helpful.

"My mate on the other hand is going to go for the 2391 then the 17th. which I personally think is suicide!"

Mmm, interesting strategy. As being fairly clued to the latest regs is an absolute must for the 2391 i would seriously question the logic in this approach. Hope it works for him but that would be quite an achievement IMHO.
Your thinking is spot on. The only thing i could add would be to draw your attention to the new 2392
(discussed in a few posts recently) which possibly might interest you depending on your experience / confidence in tackling the 2391

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi.

My understanding was that colleges will not let you sit the 2391 without the relevant "regs" course being held beforehend.

This may be just my area though, but....as Al has said 17th first is deffo the way to go.

Hi Mike
Just finished my 2330 L2&3, and work have given the go ahead to start the NVQ 3 so when i get more info i will let you know.
Jas

Hi Mike
Just finished my 2330 L2&3, and work have given the go ahead to start the NVQ 3 so when i get more info i will let you know.
Jas

Thanks Jas. Ive been back working again for a few weeks on the DLR and doing the usual lighting, containment, SER [Signal quipment Rooms] power [can class this as confined spaces for the NVQ3] and running power up and down the station platforms.

Ive been taking photos of my work, and keeping notes on what was needed, plant, tools, PPE and any safety/risk assesments that might of been needed.
The only trouble is the DLR and LUL are very restricted as to how you can obtain access. You need an entry level permit and have to sign in via a bio-metric hand scanner at the site Im on.

Im not sure if an NVQ assessor will have the necessary paperwork to get onto the rail sectors. Plus the fact that I work nights and start at 1:30am and work till 4:30am may put some assessors off from accepting me.

I dont really want to give up this job as Ive been unemployed for a few months and I love the fact that Im doing something new everynight. Giving it up to try and find a company to take me on during days so that I can pass the NVQ is very slim.

Right guys, and girls.
As you all know Im swanning around like a butchers dog with 2 appendages after passing my 2330 L3.
My next stage is obviously the NVQ3, 17th and 2391 but in what order?

Im currently working for an agency, rubbish money, but still a job on the DLR [Docklands Light Railway] insatlling lighting, running containment and cables.
My lecturer at college sems to think that I will not cover enough to obtain my NVQ3, Ive phoned a few companies that provide the course but none can be specific. Can anyone give me any advice as to what I will have to cover to get the NVQ3? Ive been told a list of jobs but no one seems to have 'the' list.
Im taking photos of work but TBH not really sure what I should be taking photos of. I dont want to pay for the course only to be stuck in limbo for a few years chasing jobs to finish the course.
Also, should I be looking at an AM2? Or is that for apprentacises? Im 30 years old with no government or company funding or help.

Also,.....I held out on the 17th untill I had the 2330 L2 & 3 under my belt, I know some of you might see this is a backwards way but when I did the L2, the 17th was 'soon' to come out so opted to wait rather than do the 16th and then a 17th update [extra costs].

Im under the impression, or to put it bluntly, think the best way for me to go is the 17th first and then the 2391 if I feel that I can complete it.

My mate on the other hand is going to go for the 2391 then the 17th. which I personally think is suicide!

Any help with these guys?
Mike.
17th Edition update, then 2391. The NVQ3 is based on you doing work in Domestic, Commercial and Industrial workplaces, so I can see you having a problem there.

Reply to NVQ3, 17th and 2391 order in which to obtain help......? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net