Discuss Odd circuit... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SS-2015

Went to have a brief look at a job on Saturday.
Gentlemen had a new consumer unit fitted about 5 years ago.
The installer that did this found a fault on a circuit consisting of 2 sockets. I've checked this and there is a fault between Line and earth somewhere.
Not a bad job to do as the CU is under the stairs (center of house) and the sockets (1 in Lounge 1 in Dining room) are feed through the walls of the under stairs cupboard, with the sockets on the other side of the walls - absolute breeze of a job really.

The odd thing is that, it's a 32A MCB protecting the circuit out of this comes about a foot of 4mm this is terminated into a JB and then a 2.5mm 'ring' supply the 2 sockets has been wired from this JB.
Maybe I've lived a sheltered working life but I've never come across this before. The owner says the sockets aren't original and there are several other things int he whole set-up that suggest this too.
What I can't understand is why someone would wire it like this, if they have come from the board in 4mm why not just carry on with it and have 4mm radial on 32a MCB thw whole run is only around 5 meters - was this a way of doing it way back when?

"lollipop" circuit. Technically nothing wrong with it. Why has been wired like that only the installer will know, maybe he run out of 4mm cable, maybe was worried that 2x 4mm wont fit in socket terminals...

I wonder if they charged them more for doing it in 4mm cable .

Like in Pluming a guy wanted all copper pipes to his Raditors, they did copper going in to the floor but once under all plastic. I think i got told that story, because there was a fault and the Raditor wasnt Grounded at all (story of a story of a story, so might be chinese whispers)

yeah - I guess there are a few reasons that it could have been done.

I'll just replace like for like, at least that way I don't have to open up the holes through the walls to take 2 x 4mm, everything on the board side tests and appears fine.

After googling 'lollipop circuit' it would appear this has been discussed before and indeed found quite a few times, so maybe i have led a sheltered working life :)

Reply to Odd circuit... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net