Discuss Off peak/ peak issues - appliances not working on "off peak" in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rainyella

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

Needing some advice if possible. I'm not a qualified sparky but DIY'er (A 'Sarah Beeny' lol) so apologies if this isn't the correct forum.

In a nutshell, I've been renovating a let property. Same tenants for 10yrs. New heaters (all electric flat) were installed by 'agents' tradesmen. One in hallway wasn't working. Moved it to lounge (small heater on rcd box) - not working. New heaters purchased for remaining rooms. Installed one into hallway - not working.

I've ascertained issue is everything on the "off peak" section does not work on "peak" hours. As renovations taking place in the day, I stayed last night and sure thing as soon as "off peak" time switched in, all appliances running on "off peak" worked. They all stopped working by 7:30am.

My question is, is the problem with the rcd or the meter? The meter time is running 5mins later than GMT but I doubt that's it.

I've contacted energy company who asked for pics and have said "readings are fine"?!? and I'm currently waiting on them to agree to send someone to look at it.

I've heard of issues with off peak not kicking in, but my off peak does - the peak time switch stops anything wired to "off peak" working during peak times.

Apologies again if this is the wrong forum.

Attachments

• IMG_20201218_101830.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20201217_132939.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 13
OK. What you have here is basically two systems in one house. The meter feeds both systems, on a time clock (radio signal code). System 1 (Peak) runs 24/7 System 2 (Off peak) runs 'whenever'. Confusingly, both systems have been installed inside the same consumer unit.

The fix is therefore incredibly quick and simple - the internals of the consumer unit need bridging together - but, you'll need a qualified electrician to do it. I'd suggest you get back to the agents electricians and tell them to come back and finish the job properly! Also..... as they wouldn't have been able to do any live testing on their work unless they did it at midnight, I'd question the validity of any paperwork they gave you.

OK. What you have here is basically two systems in one house. The meter feeds both systems, on a time clock (radio signal code). System 1 (Peak) runs 24/7 System 2 (Off peak) runs 'whenever'. Confusingly, both systems have been installed inside the same consumer unit.

The fix is therefore incredibly quick and simple - the internals of the consumer unit need bridging together - but, you'll need a qualified electrician to do it. I'd suggest you get back to the agents electricians and tell them to come back and finish the job properly! Also..... as they wouldn't have been able to do any live testing on their work unless they did it at midnight, I'd question the validity of any paperwork they gave you.
Thank you for your quick response.
I paid the agents monthly and never saw the property until tenants vacated. I didn't know the meter was changed or got any paperwork as conveniently the letting agents "have misplaced" the paperwork.

I had storage heaters (brick ones) one I left which they changed to panel ones. I've had such a nightmare with them it's unreal.

I will call an electrician now as I definitely won't attempt that myself.

Have a good Xmas and thanks for not treating this girl as stupid with my question as the electric board did ?

Reply to Off peak/ peak issues - appliances not working on "off peak" in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net