Discuss office sockets different phases in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello All

done an EICR on a small office around 5 years old someone has added extra socket circuits from new to suit layout.

they have added extra sockets on different phases next to each other less than 100mm between them so 2 phases powering same desks.

Im possibly over thinking it but is that ok I say no as they can plug screen on 1 phase and hard drive on another phase.

In 13th edition this was specifically disallowed. At some point before 16th the restriction was removed.
No regs prohibit this now. I still don’t like the idea mind!
(My first ever post to this forum was the same question. Some of it must finally be sinking in)

In 13th edition this was specifically disallowed. At some point before 16th the restriction was removed.
No regs prohibit this now.
(My first ever post to this forum was the same question. Some of it must finally be sinking in)
Was computers invented at 13th edition haha

thought I was just over thinking it glad you had same question

In a situation like this, id make sure all the sockets had a label on the front stating what board, phase and circuit they are fed from.

I know not every customer likes this, but for future maintenance and repairs, it can be a huge time saver.

If someone can see that this socket is L1, and this other one is L2.... they might be cautious... but then the average office desk jockey wont think that way.

In a situation like this, id make sure all the sockets had a label on the front stating what board, phase and circuit they are fed from.

I know not every customer likes this, but for future maintenance and repairs, it can be a huge time saver.

If someone can see that this socket is L1, and this other one is L2.... they might be cautious... but then the average office desk jockey wont think that way.
Nothing marked up but quoting to do this as like you say to help maintenance and hopefully people won't use 2 different sockets for same computer

I'd label everything in a commercial environment. Will also save money in the future when it comes to maintenance, additions or testing.

Was computers invented at 13th edition haha
For all the difference it makes, it seems it was still in 14th edition and the final edition was in 1976.
Computers did exist but they took up large rooms. 4 years later we had a cluster of home computers arrive on the scene, e.g. the Sinclair ZX80, and the Commodore Vic20. 1981 and the game changer arrived - the BBC Micro model A, the 6502 based ancestor of all the ARM devices still in use today.

Reply to office sockets different phases in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net