James

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
This may be coming up as free to good home.
F012B878-572E-4AE8-99D8-F860C08FE577.jpeg

Attachments

• 8D0A019A-7B3D-46B4-999A-28DE659E1454.jpeg
    499.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 526B932F-4C0B-4FDA-9CF7-DFAEB672B215.jpeg
    578.6 KB · Views: 55
  • A9479A06-DBB7-44E1-9C47-96D226FE1A48.jpeg
    529.2 KB · Views: 52
  • E6AE529C-8624-456A-9398-B802DEA2B4D3.jpeg
    412.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 93BAD322-1FA6-4584-943C-C37DAD822153.jpeg
    592.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 18A7A6EF-DD46-4776-A2D0-CD845A744ECB.jpeg
    529.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 12B9B7E3-1058-4CC3-846C-AAC063EF621A.jpeg
    316.1 KB · Views: 43
  • C1468015-BA2F-49E6-A5A2-72CD8B4EFCF6.jpeg
    561.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 9877D49E-E238-4029-9B1C-E8729C50FADA.jpeg
    419.7 KB · Views: 46
I dont think the 200bhp 12-litre supercharged C6 engine would be particularly happy in the long term if the hardest it has to work is powering a 5hp centre lathe. Fuel consumption figures might not be attractive for that duty either.

I dont think the 200bhp 12-litre supercharged C6 engine would be particularly happy in the long term if the hardest it has to work is powering a 5hp centre lathe. Fuel consumption figures might not be attractive for that duty either.

Put a nice big dummy resistor in parallel with it to keep the load up.

And a nice big moving magnet analogue ammeter as well. With brass terminals.

Oohhhh. I'm off for a sit down.

Put a nice big dummy resistor in parallel with it to keep the load up.

And a nice big moving magnet analogue ammeter as well. With brass terminals.

Oohhhh. I'm off for a sit down.
Would certainly keep the workshop warm n the winter!

How much can you get for STOR these days ? Give it a few more years, could be useful to run the whole street when we run out of lecky ?

(Yes I know it's not possible to do that)

Hope someone makes good use of it, would be a shame to see it scrapped, diesel generators are so cool.

Reminds me of the last old generator we played with, it hadn't been run since the company went bust 6 months previous. A fairly chunky set - 650kVA It started ok once the fuel had got to the injectors and ran fine for 30 seconds, then it started to overspeed... No idea how fast it was going as the needles pegged on the voltage and frequency meters, loud AF it was. It behaved itself on the second start, though I wouldn't want to connect a load to it until the issue was sorted. Unfortunately we only had the cameras running on the second start.

I could be interested

It is located about 3 miles away from Birmingham airport.
do you ever come to this part of the country?

It is located about 3 miles away from Birmingham airport.
do you ever come to this part of the country?
I’m up in Brum for a couple of festivals later in Sept…. How complex to remove / dismantle and what size vehicle?

It will be a pain in rear type of job to remove it.
wall to be removed and rebuilt
tight access
i estimate it is around 2 tonne

going to talk in more detail with owners, they want the space for storage.

may be able to get it free if removal and reinstate of wall is done for them.

I’m up in Brum for a couple of festivals later in Sept…. How complex to remove / dismantle and what size vehicle?
Toyota pick up will carry it with a couple of HMGs mounted to keep the Birmingham Taliban and Pikeys at bay.

I did a bit of analysis a year ago for a dairy farmer to advise him on a three phase stand by gennie purchase. I will copy your post to him.

I did a bit of analysis a year ago for a dairy farmer to advise him on a three phase stand by gennie purchase. I will copy your post to him.
Wow, didn’t know a dairy farm used that much power.

Yes we rewired a council owned farmhouse on a small dairy farm, they were trying to get 3ph supply installed as they would frequently blow the 100A cutout fuse.

Agree with James on the weight, possibly a bit more. I don't know the weight of the 6-cyl but the four is almost exactly a tonne dry. I expect @Rockingit knows lots of people with trucks and cranes but if you did need someone with a suitable rig, I know a very helpful and efficient chap who moves all our heavy stuff and has a good feel for vintage plant.

I say vintage, one of the reasons I didn't voice any interest in this myself is that it's a bit too new. I do like old diesels but this unit might have some good working years ahead of it before it becomes a museum piece, and I am now limiting my toys to genuine museum pieces.

Reply to Old generator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net