Currently reading:
old test gear...

Discuss old test gear... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

To be fair robin were the big thing for us when we started using test kit properly, Unbeatable as well really, funny how you never see their kit about today, are they still going?
well as you know they became part of fluke...
the name was still put on the instruments though....together with the fluke brand...
however there is a range of seperates and MFTs out now which are sold as robin.....not anything like the proper robin stuff was though...1610, 1620, 1630 and the range of pat testers they did such as the 3000, 5000, 5500

Brings back memories!! My first years consisted of using these things, the avometer, the wind up megger and the ohmeter we had, i can't remember the make had various values of variable resistors you had to adjust to null out a meter, then you had to work out from the numbers on them what milliohms you had.

But the best thing about them was that you had to actually understand what you were doing with them to interperet the results.

To be fair robin were the big thing for us when we started using test kit properly, Unbeatable as well really, funny how you never see their kit about today, are they still going?

I still prefer to use my KMP testers they must be 15 years old now but there still going great guns, I did get a MFT a few years back but didn't take to it so I got shut and went back to my trusty Robins with the shiny silver case !!

Last edited by a moderator:
i`v got an old Megger CM200 that serves me as backup
and i`v got a metrix MX4900 MOD (dont bother looking for them on google...you wont find them) that i use for everyday...
its ex military the german and slovenian army were issued with them back in the 90s....
both testers serve me well...

I love all this old stuff. Please keep posting!

Out of interest, back in the 1960's (for example) were the testing procedures and value limits pretty much the same as they are now, ie continuity, polarity, IR etc?

none of these then?...

$(KGrHqZ,!joFCfd+lDwkBQyyvTekOQ~~60_12.JPG

Are lassess dad gave me one like this a year ago. I posted it up on here in a thread, cant remember what the thread was called.
I didnt know what its was but some of the older guys told me its what they used to use in mines, (back int day,lol). Still got it somewhere, still has the original black leather case.

WP_000094.jpgWP_000095.jpg

Jay

Are lassess dad gave me one like this a year ago. I posted it up on here in a thread, cant remember what the thread was called.
I didnt know what its was but some of the older guys told me its what they used to use in mines, (back int day,lol). Still got it somewhere, still has the original black leather case.

View attachment 16469View attachment 16468

Jay
well that in the pic is a phase-earth loop tester..
they did an insulation resistance tester/low resistance ohmmeter as well in the same case...

Reply to old test gear... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back