Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss old test gear... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I bet thats better than some of the crap they sell today, I still have an analogue IR tester, I intend to get it calibrated and start using it again :biggrin5:

I bet thats better than some of the crap they sell today, I still have an analogue IR tester, I intend to get it calibrated and start using it again :biggrin5:
yeah Mike...i`m on the lookout for an old analogue multimeter at the mo....
got my eye on an old bakelite one...upto 600V and 6A AC and DC...doesnt do low ohms though...
but i can use the digital for that...

- - - Updated - - -

i have one of these :)

$T2eC16V,!yME9s5qGs,iBQklSV8QIg~~60_12.JPG

its in great condition

Looking at the state of leeds glenn, isn't that modern to you wessie lot? :biggrin:
lol....well Leeds city centre is allright....just some of the areas..lol..
its a bit like elland road isn`t it....one side of it is OK...the rest needs sortin out...

- - - Updated - - -

My mate still has an avometer model 8, I noticed it in his garage recently, top bit of kit in it's day.
still is as well

I actually made one of those at college, not quite as good obviously, did it as a project haha

mine is missing the original leads but it looks as new as the day it was made. cracking piece of kit pardon the pun for a ir tester

ayjay, bless you! i just wonna give you a big cuddle after that comment haha

I dunno buddy, can't say i saw - we're all very sorry though :)

Link us!

i bet that was good...

Yeah it was fun, it was pretty crap really, but it worked and gave a decent belt out haha, a bit of an airfix type kit really, we had to do it in Electronics, back in the early eigties when you took 236 parts 1 and 2 there was an electronics bit thrown in with it, great fun.

Yeah it was fun, it was pretty crap really, but it worked and gave a decent belt out haha, a bit of an airfix type kit really, we had to do it in Electronics, back in the early eigties when you took 236 parts 1 and 2 there was an electronics bit thrown in with it, great fun.
did you get a decent value of it then Mike?..

View attachment 16449View attachment 16448 heres a bit of older kit I own, I know I have more, just got to sort it all out
Ha!!...i`v got one of those northumbria instruments callibrator rigs ..lol...
with the Zs +10 ohms button on it...
and that megger will still cut it as well...those discharge lamp testers arn`t cheap either....nice bit of stuff there Mike...
now, just be careful with that callibrator wont you with older test instruments....as the one i have keeps blowing the opp amp on an MFT i have....backfeeding...

they were standard issue as far as i know down the pits mike...were those metrohm loop testers....they did an IR tester...that would give out 500V DC together with low ohms.....

yeah looks pretty good for the era, we had kit like that for meggaring Pyros mainly as there was a time when thats all we put in, the council went mad on MICC for about 5 years, those little testers were the dogs dangly bits.

they still come up on fleabay do those Mike.....some quite interesting stuff in there from time to time...
i missed out on an old sangamo current clamp the other day...i wasn`t watching and it went for 50p plus postage..which i think was about 5 quid...
it had the original leads with it as well as the leatherette case and instruction manual....

To be fair robin were the big thing for us when we started using test kit properly, Unbeatable as well really, funny how you never see their kit about today, are they still going?

Lovely to see others using and caring for what some consider "antiques". I have and use an AVO 8 together with an inclined manometer,Tessler tachometer and a light meter all from before mini-skirts landed...all hail to the old.

To be fair robin were the big thing for us when we started using test kit properly, Unbeatable as well really, funny how you never see their kit about today, are they still going?
well as you know they became part of fluke...
the name was still put on the instruments though....together with the fluke brand...
however there is a range of seperates and MFTs out now which are sold as robin.....not anything like the proper robin stuff was though...1610, 1620, 1630 and the range of pat testers they did such as the 3000, 5000, 5500

they were standard issue as far as i know down the pits mike...were those metrohm loop testers....they did an IR tester...that would give out 500V DC together with low ohms.....

I've got (in Mansfield) an NCB Metrohm 500V intrinsicly safe. Have to bring it back next time I go over there.

Brings back memories!! My first years consisted of using these things, the avometer, the wind up megger and the ohmeter we had, i can't remember the make had various values of variable resistors you had to adjust to null out a meter, then you had to work out from the numbers on them what milliohms you had.

But the best thing about them was that you had to actually understand what you were doing with them to interperet the results.

I still prefer to use my KMP testers they must be 15 years old now but there still going great guns, I did get a MFT a few years back but didn't take to it so I got shut and went back to my trusty Robins with the shiny silver case !!

Last edited by a moderator:
i`v got an old Megger CM200 that serves me as backup
and i`v got a metrix MX4900 MOD (dont bother looking for them on google...you wont find them) that i use for everyday...
its ex military the german and slovenian army were issued with them back in the 90s....
both testers serve me well...

I love all this old stuff. Please keep posting!

Out of interest, back in the 1960's (for example) were the testing procedures and value limits pretty much the same as they are now, ie continuity, polarity, IR etc?

none of these then?...

$(KGrHqZ,!joFCfd+lDwkBQyyvTekOQ~~60_12.JPG

Are lassess dad gave me one like this a year ago. I posted it up on here in a thread, cant remember what the thread was called.
I didnt know what its was but some of the older guys told me its what they used to use in mines, (back int day,lol). Still got it somewhere, still has the original black leather case.

WP_000094.jpgWP_000095.jpg

Jay

Are lassess dad gave me one like this a year ago. I posted it up on here in a thread, cant remember what the thread was called.
I didnt know what its was but some of the older guys told me its what they used to use in mines, (back int day,lol). Still got it somewhere, still has the original black leather case.

View attachment 16469View attachment 16468

Jay
well that in the pic is a phase-earth loop tester..
they did an insulation resistance tester/low resistance ohmmeter as well in the same case...

Reply to old test gear... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net