Discuss Omission Of Tests On Inaccessible Kitchen Appliances in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Absolutely right Pete. The problem with testing appliances is that even if you have the test set up incorrectly, the appliance may still pass even if it us faulty. It's important to know exactly what you are testing and what parameters are acceptable.

Remember seeing someone testing figure 8 mains leads years ago. I asked him what tests he was doing. He didn't know, but just pressed 'Test' and waited for it to say 'pass'. I tried explaining how the IR test worked on his tester, but his face remained blank.

Not appliance testing related, but I always note as a limitation on EICRs that the circuit serving an electric hob and/oven is only tested to the main switch (i.e not to the outlet) where appliances would have to be removed to provide access.
You don’t often come across pull out electric cookers anymore!

Agree with testing eicr to isolator. But if pat testing i would test from the outgoing side of the isolator and wander for r2 continuity.

Visiting a friend in a council house she said someone would be coming to test her kitchen appliances.
There was nothing to show they had been tested before.

When the person arrived to do the PAT testing, the first thing he did was ring the bell, then disappeared behind the sheds to urinate.

He then came in with his tester and a roll of stickers and started putting his stickers on the appliances.

I asked why he wasn't testing anything and he replied "I'm doing a visual inspection, VISUAL Inspection", as though I was simple and needed the emphasis.

I told him that the equipment had never been tested and a visual inspection required more than just seeing it was there

He said he needed someone to make the equipment available for testing, so I said I'd bring them into the middle of the kitchen so he could access them all he wanted, but he declined.

He then left having been there for a few minutes and couldn't get out quickly enough. I believe he realised that he was out of his depth with me.

His interpretation of visual inspection was looking for somewhere to put his stickers on. That's all he did.

Last edited:
When the person arrived to do the PAT testing ... I asked why he wasn't testing anything and he replied "I'm doing a visual inspection, VISUAL Inspection", as though I was simple and needed the emphasis ... I told him ... a visual inspection required more than just seeing it was there ... his interpretation of visual inspection was looking for somewhere to put his stickers ...
It would be funny if it wasn't potentially tragic. Maybe he thought you were foreign so yelling might work :confused:

You can isolate the supply all you like, if you leave that widow maker test lead behind on a job it could lead to serious injury or a fatality.

Does that so called test lead you have made have the L & N connected at each plug? If so it's dangerous, and needs destroyed and binned. Before you start testing anything get out 2 Fail stickers for your silly creation.

In the interests of public safety I've removed all posts with images or suggestions of using a 'widowmaker' lead for the purpose of testing. This part of the forum is publicly viewable and I don't want to risk Google indexing any post that suggests a widowmaker lead is a viable option.

In the interests of public safety I've removed all posts with images or suggestions of using a 'widowmaker' lead for the purpose of testing. This part of the forum is publicly viewable and I don't want to risk Google indexing any post that suggests a widowmaker lead is a viable option.
Thank you !

City and Guilds 2377 certificate is based on the IEE code of practice and is The inspection and testing of Electrical Equipment. So called PAT testing is a dumbed down term.

Reply to Omission Of Tests On Inaccessible Kitchen Appliances in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net