Discuss One hourcentral heating timer for student let in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rjmaycock

Can anyone advise me on this:

1. Student house tennants always going out and leaving the heating on (home for xmas - heating full blast!)

2. Gas CH from backboiler heats water and house controlled through normal programmer

3. I want to have hot water permanently on.

4. I want to have a "push Button" system that activates central heating for 1-2 hours AND THEN GOES OFF UNTIL IT IS PRESSED AGAIN when it comes on for another 1/2 hour period.

So - no leaving the heating on all night/all summer all day when no-one is at home.

All suggestions most gratefully received

rjmaycock

You will need to insert a timer button of some kind in the heating side of the programmer. Ask at the wholesalers what they have got, a simple airswitch would do but I think they only go up to about 10 mins or so.

Well then, what are you going to do if we hit a cold snap like last year over Christmas and you end up with burst pipes all over the house because none of your tenants are available to press the "reset" button ?

Sorry for being so abrupt here, but you are coming across as some kind of Ebeneezer Scrooge.

Realistically, invest in a decent timer and condensing combi-boiler, with a thermostat that is limited a certain temperature (20-22 degrees max). Also get individual thermostats for the radiators so each room. The money saved through the combi-boiler alone will give you a decent payback. Plus you should be able to get £50 for the existing boiler as scrap copper.

Reply to One hourcentral heating timer for student let in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net