Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss One way of earthing the pipes..... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Bob Geldoff1234

Bob Geldoff1234 Regular EF Member

I was changing the consumer unit today and look how the previous person has earthed the main water and gas!
    20171113_105334.jpg

I will give them 10 out 10 for ingenuity:confused:

Here's how it looked after i had finished.
    20171113_134702.jpg

On a totally different job i was called out to i came across this fitted by a so called electrician.
    20171108_135012.jpg
    The bottom of the rcd is feeding straight out to the RFC.
    How he thought that a 63amp RCD on it's own would comply with regulations is beyond me.I had to removed the enclosure and fit a larger one so that i could fit a 32 amp mcb next to the RCD as it needed.
    The guy even charged £330 just to fit that unit!

It saddens me that cowboys like this get away with it and tarnish qualified electricians in the process.:mad:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

That looks like a really good job. Amazing what some people do. Wonder if they are even electricians or just go under the title.

3. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

Cable tied to pipework of other services!!!

• Agree Agree x 10
  4. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Another couple of uglies :)
    Out of interest - did contestant number 2 (how that seems to fit ...) take CPC anywhere ?

• Old Old x 1
  5. Bob Geldoff1234

CPC came out of the bottom of the unit directly into the main earth bar.CPC was a single piece of 1.5mm green/yellow which then connected into the ring cpc's via a 15amp connector seen to the right of the photo.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Done the wonder course Job done

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. wirepuller

wirepuller Trusted Advisor

Nice tidy job mate and a vast improvement, but your NICEIC inspector will have you by the balls for strapping the bonding wires to the services, they are supposed to be independently supported.
    Not a criticism btw...just saying cos I got picked up for it once.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Bob Geldoff1234

Never been pulled before for tie wrapping the bonding wires and i've done it for numerous inspections before.What harm can it do.They aren't hot or don't move so i cannot see the problem?

9. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

What reference method would you call it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  10. Dave OCD

Dave OCD Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Hendry Electrical Services
    Not a criticism at all Bob but with the meter tails going in through the rear and not glanded I'd secure then with clips or small cleats.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. wirepuller

wirepuller Trusted Advisor

The NIC did issue guidance on this very thing some time ago, I only have the BRB to hand so the reg number may have changed, but 528.3.3 (proximity to non-electrical services) basically states that where an electrical service is in close proximity to another service it shall be arranged that work on that service does not affect the electrical service. I suspect that is the reg that applies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bob Geldoff1234

Cheers mate.The tails are cleated at the back of the board before i fitted it so they aren't going anywhere;)

Is there a definite regulation about not tie wrapping bonding cables to the pipes anywhere?
    I can understand not tie wrapping t&e cables but bonding cables?

• Like Like x 2
  13. kingeri

kingeri Trusted Advisor

Bob, why do you keep throwing the 'dumb' rating around? It's hardly helpful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bob Geldoff1234

Because in general you wouldn't refer to bonding cables via the reference method so the reply is unhelpful.

15. kingeri

kingeri Trusted Advisor

Right.