Discuss Outbuilding in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

acat

Hi Folks

Got a job the other day and was assured they had everything they needed as they had already been advised what was required. (Should have smelled a rat at this stage).

Turned up today to find that it is a new supply in a shed from another out building asked for the bits and pieces they had and was given 4mm swa cable a socket and a light. No glands, no clips, no CU for the shed and no MCB to run SWA from CU in outbuilding. Turns out the expert advice came from a chippy???????????????

My problems are never dealt with SWA before, location is a farm where their is no vehicle or livestock access. What is the furthest distance recommended for unsupported SWA overhead or can this be just laid on the ground.

Any suggestions appreciated

Chris

Hi Folks

Got a job the other day and was assured they had everything they needed as they had already been advised what was required. (Should have smelled a rat at this stage).

Turned up today to find that it is a new supply in a shed from another out building asked for the bits and pieces they had and was given 4mm swa cable a socket and a light. No glands, no clips, no CU for the shed and no MCB to run SWA from CU in outbuilding. Turns out the expert advice came from a chippy???????????????

My problems are never dealt with SWA before, location is a farm where their is no vehicle or livestock access. What is the furthest distance recommended for unsupported SWA overhead or can this be just laid on the ground.

Chris
Hiya mate, swa is a pig the first few times you do it but does get easier, 4mm should be essy enough anyway, you'll want ip rated stuff for a farm too, best to bury the swa or run a catenary wire from shed to shed, could always use a fused spur for the shed too and another fused down for the light;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also be conserned about the earthing arangements for this.. you may need to earth stake it, as it sounds like you are running to a completly new area..

Hi Folks

Chris
out of intrest is this shed a steel girder frame /metal sheet clad construction?
if so with your 4mm SWA you will deffo need to put it on a TT system rcd everything and earth all exposed girderwork.
elfyn

Reply to Outbuilding in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net