Discuss Owed money in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi i'm fairly new to the self employed scene, was on the books for 13 years. Well anyway I did some work for a guy to pull one of his job out of the s@#t so to speak, but only worked 12 days. Six months down the line he still hasnt paid up in full. What is the best way of getting the money back what I am owed. I'm sick of him fobbing me off now with "yes this thursday etc"

I'm about to print the forms off for the small claims court but is the any other ways to get it back? As i would have court fee etc.

I'd love to go up to his office, guns blazing, base ball bat in hand etc but this isnt going to help me one bit.

Any help appreciated

Small claims would your best bet, do you have proof he owes you money. Like a order for the works to be carried out.

You will get your fees back should you win the case so the small outlay will be refunded.

only proof i have is my invoice so to speak, was hourly paid and travel expences. Also have many texts messages saying "sorry etc and it will go in you're bank this thursday"

only proof i have is my invoice so to speak, was hourly paid and travel expences. Also have many texts messages saying "sorry etc and it will go in you're bank this thursday"

Text messages should be enough to prove he owes you money as long it says he does owe you monies.

I heard that even if the court goes in your favour you may still struggle to get money. Do you know any big blokes you could lend you baseball bat to? If he's in business you could put a few words out about him being a bad payer.

Yes Joe i read about that last night about having to go back to the courts to get the judge to put an order in for him to pay. I think I could be quit handy with a baseball bat my self.

Last edited:
hI dr+p3pper, good luck with collecting what's due to you.

I'll put this in the business section for you as it's not really a general electrical issue.

Word of caution pepper, dont post names and details of any dispute on here, you could end up in the quagmire, this is a dispute between you and him so publically printing his name with said accusations may lead to you been sued whether or not you are owed money, i would be inclined to Edit the name out of your post.

Not suggesting what you say isn't true as ive no reason to disbelieve you its just a caution!

I found a verbal method ive already posted on forum is to inform them that your selling your debt on to a debt collecting agency in 14days who will add their charges for the collection of the money owed, say the agency pay you what is owed and thus you are out of the loop, its going to be the only way for you without the hassle of solicitors and fees associated but you believe 14days is reasonable as the debt is now 6months old.

you can add interest @ 8.5% onto of the outstanding amount (per invoice)

e.g.
£1000 owed

For six months:
1000 x 0.085 = £85 per year
85/365 = 23p per day
Six Months = £42.50 for 6 months

£5,000 owed
5000 x 0.085 = £425 per year
425/365 = £1.16 per day
Six Months = £212.50 for 6 months

Plus you can charge compensation for:
Travel
Court Costs
Legal Costs
Recovery means
Phone calls
Bank Charges

You do have to prove that they are reasonable costs that you had to occur because of the debt.

Hi Money claim online, is the government setup fastline court proceedure for personal and business use, its a lot cheaper than going through solicitors etc, becareful of recovery agencies as they will not enforce any orders and will try and make quick settlement deals plus 15%. Personally have used the government system many times, and a summons is sent out within 7days. Most companies pay up straight away, as the dont want a judgement against them.
Hoping this helps

Before you go down the small claims route you have to send him a letter officially informing him that unless it's paid in 7 days etc you will start court procedings. there is a good chance he'll pay up just before the deadline if he gets a said official red letter from you. If he doesn't, be aware, I once successfully took someone to sccourt after he buggered up spraying my car. All his fault etc etc. still didn't get paid, I then paid to send bailiffs in, he just waved a bankrupcy notice at them and laughed. Your guy may well not be paying cos he knows he's going under.

Well I did say in the last two phone calls that I would be taking him to the small claims court. Any way this has now been resolved. I went to their yard yesterday and met him in person for the first time. 10 minutes talking to him, then I walked away with monies in my bank. Simples :13:

Reply to Owed money in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net