Discuss Oxford Photovoltaics: Colourful Solar Glass in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It was on TV last week as well, when they were talking about the impact it could have if it had been used on building like The Shard etc. I guess it's probably a couple of years or so a way from economic deployment - they'll have to develop the mass production techniques next...

There are a few companies offering similar products but this one does stand out. There have been quite a few PV curtain wall installations done already, very few glazing though - both at very high prices which need to come down to make it mass market. One of the issues with this company at the moment is that the "modules" are limited to approx. A4 size which doesn't really have many applications. Demand for this is increasing as specifications for new builds and architects start to design PV into the building fabric rather than as a last minute panic that doesn't fit on the building and with a mounting system that could have been done more elegantly. Further problem is that glazing needs skills that glazing and façade companies have that few electricians and roofers would. We might end up in a reverse to the normal situation where the double glazing firms are telling the solar guys to go back to what they normally do! :)

Given the Ford Solar panel equipped car shown at CES, (Pictures: Ford Solar Car at CES 2014 and Past Sun-Power Vehicles) I don't think it will be long before there will be electric cars with large, glass PV roofs which generate all the power they need. Battery tech will advance to the stage where the car can drive and charge the battery so it will be fine at night also.
Oh and the cars will drive themselves, so you won't need to own one any more, it will be cheaper to summon a taxi when you need to which will chauffeur you around without any need for an actual chauffeur.
Slightly off topic, but that's my prediction.

That'll be Johnny Cab then :) (Think Schwarzenegger Total Recall V1)

Reply to Oxford Photovoltaics: Colourful Solar Glass in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net