Discuss Part P Consultation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've had a scan read through.
It appears to be going a in positive/sensible direction.
I think it gives a bit more freedom for non registered people to do notifiable work without being ripped off by The Local Council (I had a whinge about this a couple of weeks ago), which would hopefully lead to less notifiable work being done, going unnotified(!)

typical bureaucratic waste of time, money and paper. all those bloody questions should be replaced by 1 simple question:

"should part p be redrawn to allow qualified ,competent electricians to work in the domestic sector and send a copy of certificate/s to building control directly, at no cost to the electrician or customer?". a simple yes or no will do.

typical bureaucratic waste of time, money and paper. all those bloody questions should be replaced by 1 simple question:

"should part p be redrawn to allow qualified ,competent electricians to work in the domestic sector and send a copy of certificate/s to building control directly, at no cost to the electrician or customer?". a simple yes or no will do.

They ask if if P should be just be binned, answer, of course not, far too simple.
We have to keep our Civil Servants occupied somehow.

Still no definition of what is a competent person is. Just because you are a member of a scam doesn't necessarily make you competent to test other peoples work.

2391 springs to mind !!What do you all think.
Simple, if you are 2391 qualified, that surely should be enough to sign of your own work?

Lets have your opinions (99 views to this post yet only 3 reactions)
The only way to change this dreaded "PART P" nonsense (as many posts on here suggests ,not many of us agree with) is by taking part in the Consultation!!!!

So , LET THEM HAVE IT !!!

Last edited:
SorryOld Amber Baffling ON. :banghead:

Part P . Electrical Safety –Dwellings . Qualified Electrician / Competent Person.

PartP : Impact Assessment . SAFETY & LEGALLY ????????????

PartP : course is Not designed to teach domesticinstallations . it is designed to Assess your Ability to undertake such worksafely .

Part P for Beginners .
ElectricalTraining to everyone regardless of there background. age or experience .

I willnot name the Company . it’s. an Open Forum .

Thetraining carried out in our workshop bays reflect what you will come acrosswithin a domestic dwelling & willquickly understand what you are legally allowed to undertake within the Scopeof Part-P

13 days of Electrical Trainingis primarily aimed at these of you who DO NOT HAVEa BACKGROUND in domestic installation .

HEREcomes **** . But who are keen toundertake Electrical Work within domestic dwellings . SAFETY& LEGALLY

SAFETY & LEGALLY . forwho

Theterm “ Part – P “ qualified is misleading & oftendeliberately misrepresentational . the requirementsfor persons involved in Electrical Installation Work should be clearly defined& regulated .

Ihate the Wording Part P Qualified .

“Part P Qualified or Part P approved “ written into side of vans . yet those of usthat are properly informed know the successful completion of a Part P . course
DoesNot make someone a Competent Enterprise . or a Qualified Electrician . Doesthe General Public DO NOT KNOW THIS.

GeneralPublic !!!!!

DomesticInstaller Schemes are Undermining the System . 13 days

QualifiedElectrician / Competent Person.
Anyoneworking on Electrical Systems should have full Understanding of the dangersthat Electricity poses . in the Line with the H&S 1974. E.A.W.R. 1989 .

Non-notifiablework is just as Likely to cause hazards & risks “ Domestic Installer Schemes “ as the notifiablework
Abovetypes of work to be Non-notifiable . we are leaving a loophole wherebynon-qualified persons are ( Could do ) Altering Electrical Installations & having adetrimental effect on the Safety of Themselves . & Others .

Recieved this the other day......

[h=2]The Electrical Safety Council (ESC) has welcomed the report by the Communities and Local Government (CLG) Select Committee which supports the retention of Part P of the Building Regulations.[/h]
The Committee’s report presents the findings of an inquiry into the Building Regulations applying to electrical and gas installation and repairs in dwellings. It will feed into the Government’s ongoing review of the Building Regulations for England, which has been established with a view to reducing red tape and cutting costs.
The ESC is encouraged that the Select Committee considers Part P as ‘...adequate in its current form and …should not be reduced, although there is need for improvement in its operation.’ It also notes that: ‘From the evidence we have received, we are satisfied that Part P has been successful in driving up standards and in reducing the number of electrical faults’. This is particularly encouraging as Part P provides the only legal protection for householders in England having electrical work done in their homes and scrapping or watering it down could put users of electricity at risk.
The report also highlights the lack of public understanding of Part P and makes a number of recommendations in that regard. These include:
  • the labelling of electrical equipment sold by DIY stores to warn that it is illegal for an unregistered person to undertake most electrical work in the home without checks by a competent person;
  • the Government to coordinate industry efforts to raise public awareness of the need for electrical and gas safety;
  • any public awareness campaign should alert people to the dangers of using unqualified electricians and the need to regularly check electrical circuits in the home;
Phil Buckle, the Director General of the ESC, who was among those who gave evidence to the Select Committee during its investigation, commented:
“We welcome the recommendations made in the Select Committee report – particularly those relating to the need to increase public awareness and understanding of electrical safety and Part P in particular. Our research has found that just 20% of people in England and Wales had heard of Part P and, of those, over half stated that they either knew nothing about it, or very little.
“We also believe the ESC is ideally placed to support the Government in any public information activity, as our extensive expertise in both consumer and industry campaigning could help ensure an integrated approach to the promotion of Part P”.

ive had a small skim over there suggestions over improving part p, and i can see how they would work in some cases, but i can still see problems with there new suggestions also.
edit: also does anyone know of when they actualy plan on doing anything "DCLG would be including Part P in its 2013 review of the BuildingRegulations" is that it ? many thanks

Last edited:
Several million no doubt. I wonder how many "interested parties" had lunch with the decision makers.

Do you think they had a few pints and boasted about their gold plated pensions and maybe scumbags like us got a mention as well ie I wonder if we could push their subs up

That is just moronic, they need to restrict sales of certain equipment, not advise it should be CHECKED by a competent person.

So the next lot of phone calls we get will be, "I have just fitted..... could you check it, it should only take 10mins to do, can you pop round on your way home."

That is just moronic, they need to restrict sales of certain equipment, not advise it should be CHECKED by a competent person.

So the next lot of phone calls we get will be, "I have just fitted..... could you check it, it should only take 10mins to do, can you pop round on your way home."

"How much to fix"
"cant you just sign it off for me like a good chap you are"
"You will have to fix it under warranty as you were the last to touch it" last man frees all syndrome
"That much but your just on your way home wil £20 do"
"you dont have to be so akward about it , Its people like you who give your trade a bad name you know"
"I called to say I have found an electrician who will sort this for me substantially cheaper than your quote"
"With the prices you charge I am surprised you make a living"
"What!!!! B&Q sells them for buttons"

And so on

"The sign at the store said it was ok for me to do the rewire, I just need you to sign on this dotted line to say that you take responsibility for it if anyone in my house dies"

As I see it we dont have to sing off any ones work we dont trust I would not put my name to any ones work just because they rang up and asked I wold only put my name on my work. I would just not do it if they find some one who will good look to them.

Funny isnt it, it says part p was brought in in response to members of the public being killed by dodgy electrics which has been going on for years,this only happened when some mp,s relation copped it correct me if i,m wrong. on another note don,t you think rcd,s have a lot to answer for? I mean back in the day when there was none joe public left electric largely alone "cause it can kill you" now with rcd,s etc there seems to be an attitude of"well if I get it wrong it will trip out".Same thing happened with cars and airbags they drive like loons "cause I,m alright my car has airbags" imo all airbags should be replaced with large spikes that deploy on impact and something equally unpleasant should be found to replace rcd,s then hopefully joe public will give electricity and electricians the respect we deserve.

Yep Phil I think it was an MPs daughter who died and as for airbags well my understanding was the yanks wanted them because they were too lazy or fat to wear a seat belt and on that subject you may have noticed more young drivers being prosecuted for dangerous driving because they were running about in a old or basic car that only had a drivers airbag so as far as he is concerned he can drive like a madman so what's the catch well the 2 girls and the other lad in the car get seriously injured or killed and this fool gets to smirk outside the court so do airbags and RCDs save life's you bet but in the wrong hands they can be just as deadly.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I see it we dont have to sing off any ones work we dont trust I would not put my name to any ones work just because they rang up and asked I wold only put my name on my work. I would just not do it if they find some one who will good look to them.

Same here. I'm sure some electricians would see it as easy money though unfortunately.

Reply to Part P Consultation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net