Discuss Part P scheme not available to me yet. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Spoon242

Guys,

I potentially have a consumer unit change towards the end of Novemeber and for any of those who recognise my postings, you'll understand I am starting my own business on ramp up now through to April following my redundancy.
As I have not worked in domestic for 10 years I out of the whole Part P circus.

What's my obligations around part P notification as I will not be with a scheme in time?

Thanks

By rights, the Council should be notified before the work commences.
The appropriate fee should be paid and you should be able to carry out the work, issue an EIC, supply a copy to the Council and they should then issue a Buildings Regulations Compliance Certificate.
Different Councils have different rates that they charge, most I believe charge according to the cost of the work, and then whether they have to carry out any inspections and how many they have to carry out.
They shouldn't need to carry out any inspections on a CU change, as there will be no routing of cables, no first and second fixing etc.
The Council will most likely want to verify your qualifications before deciding on the fee, to decide whether they will have to inspect, or accept your Certificate.

WOW!!!

I just contacted the local council building controls for the area where the CU change is addressed and am shocked to say the least.
If I understand them correctly via the table they sent me, it scary.

Electrical work (if it qualifies as Any-other than rewires) - Building Notice application ÂŁ360-00 inc vat and plan charge(including inspection) ÂŁ360-00 inc vat.
= ÂŁ720
How am I supposed to pass that on to a customer and win a quote......
I need to get domestics under my belt like this so I can be assessed to join a scheme.

you should be able to do the CU change and have your assessment soon after, using the CU change as you major job. once you have been accepted by your chosen scam provider, notify through them. communicate with napit, elecsa or, if desperate, niceic. and check procedures.

I took your advice and called Elecsa who explained I should ask if I can perform the CU change and if the building controls were happy, allow me to use it as my assessment.
By doing that I can log it through Elecsa at the ÂŁ1.50 rate they charge^^

haha, no pressure on this job.

if you hold the required qualifications a visit to building control may be enough, they will often accept proof that you are suitably qualified and waive fees. (varies from area to area)

My quals,

C&G Electrical Installation 236 Parts 1 and 2 (15th Edition trained), 17th Edition update, soon to have 2391 ^^ and 21 years experience in domestic, commercial and (industrial, where I have been for the last 10 years)

If you describe your qualifications and experience to the LABC, they may be content to waive the requirement to inspect the work, and as such offer a reduced fee for notification.

Reply to Part P scheme not available to me yet. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net