Discuss Part P - What is the best way forward? in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

robjgriff

Hi

Can anyone help me answer a simple question?

I trained as an electrical apprentice and have a HNC in elec engineering. I'm now a physics teacher and have done lots of simple household wiring over the years. Recently I've done a few house renovations and feel unsure if I should undertake rewiring as I have no official qualifications. I'd like to start doing more domestic work in the future. What would be the best route to really get up to speed on all the basics again and also become qualified to carry out and sign off my own work. I'm considering getting out of teaching!!!! :)

Any hepful advice would greatfully recieved

Robjgriff

The first thing you will find is that although you know all the electrical theory, you may not be up to date with the regs. Get yourself a big green book (17th edition regs incorporating 1st amend) and read it until your eyes pop. I was also an industrial electrical engineer for many years before going self-employed, and the hardest part for you will be dealing with customers and your own accounts.
If you are certain that you want to go down this route then I would advise you get the 17th edition C&G qualification for starters....

then join a part p certification scam and you're good to go.

Rob, as a physics teacher you're obviously a reasonably clever bloke. Please don't allow yourself to be seduced by the training provider's gumph about a few days training then £50k pa. In your position I'd think many times before I gave up a fairly secure job.

Reply to Part P - What is the best way forward? in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net