Discuss Part P in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

U

Um0215

Hi. I am am a qualified electrician with 17-th edition, 2391, pat testing. My question is if i want to start working for myself in domestic area do i need part p qualification on not? If yes then what was the point of spending 3 years at college? What steps do i need to do? Thank you.

The qualifications need to register with a self certification scheme are as specified in the scheme websites.
Having the 17th Edition (presumably 2382) and 2391 should (at the moment), so long as you are competent and aware of the electrical requirements of the building regulations, be enough to allow you entry to one of the schemes.
A part P qualification is not required.
I would suggest checking their websites to see which is most appropriate for you.

Hi. I am am a qualified electrician with 17-th edition, 2391, pat testing. My question is if i want to start working for myself in domestic area do i need part p qualification on not? If yes then what was the point of spending 3 years at college? What steps do i need to do? Thank you.

So what about 2330 AM2/NVQ Level 3?? I always get a little suspicious when i read ''I am a Qualified Electrician'' and i see 17th edition + PAT testing and other add-on qualifications mentioned, and sod all about the main qualification that will take most, 3 or 4 years to obtain!!

I'm still suspicious!! lol!! Why would you not open with your main qualification, rather than the add on fluff??

Yes, I thought the exact same thing the first time I read it, I got halfway through an almost identical response to yours, then I read it back a few times and it made sense.

I now read it as him saying that he is a fully qualified electrician, then listing his add ons.

"I've done my three years at college, and I also have 17th, T&I and PAT."

Thank you all for answering. There is no need to criticise me for mentioning my qualifications. I have just wanted to save you asking for my qualifications before you would answer my problem. Some of you are too harsh on your comments. Don't forget that you were in this position before probably. Nobody is born electrician. So try to understand the question before you comment. The messages I get are mixed so all I wanted to know was an electrician without part p can work for himself in domestic area or not? Thank you to those who understood me.

yes you can. if however the work is notifiable and you want to do it legally, the cost of notifying without being in a scam is prohibitive.

notifiable work includes any work in special locations, a new circuit, rewire, or a DB change.

apart from notifiable work, if you are competent ( i.e. qualified and practically competent to do the work) then that's it.

depends whether you mean notifiable work or not.

The other thing to note is that the Part P 'rules' are different between Wales and England --- Wales is far superior in still requiring more notifications for domestic work than England. I think England have relaxed them to allow more cowboys to play ;)

I'm guessing that being in Telford you may occassional leave England for gods country and do some work there .....

Thank you. What steps are needed to be able to do any work legally?

Join a Scam Part Pee provider of course who will wish to take around £480 off you. You'll also need to take out the various insurances to cover yourself. But all you really need to do is look in the scam provider of your choice website, and see what conditions they want from you, in order to join their cash cow club...

Oh, and i don't consider anything i have posted in this thread earlier, can honestly be classed as being ''harsh''!! And NO i've never been in that position....

I thought joining this forum I will be able to get some serious answers and guidance from more experienced electricians but some of you guys enjoy yourself and have fun giving funny answers thinking you are better then the rest.I think it is time to grow up. I do not even know why I am bothered with this forum. You seem to care more about if I am competent or not. You should leave that to me. If you do not want to be helpful you should not answer my questions. I

Reply to Part P in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net