Discuss PAT testing bespoke electrical item with 2 x 13A plugs fitted in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparky shannock

Hi guys,
In the course of my work as an electrician I came across a portable pool heater rated at 4.8kW. it was designed and built in the UK, but the power was supplied by two 13A plugs. I was asked about PAT Testing it, but I can see all sorts of potential issues with such a device. Both plug leads feed into the control box PCB - two other leads then go to the pool heater. What would happen if the plugs were fed from a different phase? etc etc. Any Thoughts? Thanks in advance. SS

Erm....is there some sort of interlock that prevents the other plug from being live when the first one is plugged in? Sounds disturbingly dodgy to me. We used to find them on lighting kit to get 6kw out of a double socket and into a 32A ceeform...called 'widow makers'.

Erm....is there some sort of interlock that prevents the other plug from being live when the first one is plugged in? Sounds disturbingly dodgy to me. We used to find them on lighting kit to get 6kw out of a double socket and into a 32A ceeform...called 'widow makers'.

Blimey, haven't seen one of those for a long time (thankfully).

To the OP - was this a one-off creation or are these things available to buy? There is so much wrong with the concept, I would fail it just on principle.

Sounds like a horrible lash-up.
Unless the manufacturer (or whoever made the modifications) can prove and certify that it's got working, reliable interlocks, to prevent the pins on one plug being live if the other plug is connected to a live socket, I would fail it immediately, with no qualms.

Thanks for the input

I aim to contact the manufacturer next week to see what they say, I will also have a second look at the heater next week and post what I can find out.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was two 2.4kW heaters in the same enclosure. Possibly with common double pole thermostat. It would be good to contact the manufacturers and get a statement as to whether it is, in fact, two electrically separate devices in the same enclosure.

I'd agree with those above that, even if safe, it does seem to be a bit of a kludge and would be much better as two separate heaters.

A closer examination revealed it was two 'independent' circuits controlled by one control unit. Earth continuity was within limits - however to my mind this is effectively a single item of equipment that cannot be isolated in 'a single action' among other safety concerns, so for my peace of mind I did not pass it, but suggested it is returned to the manufacturer to be fitted with a single 32 A plug.

Reply to PAT testing bespoke electrical item with 2 x 13A plugs fitted in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net