Discuss PIR confused in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

v8again

Hi all

I had been wiring and rewiring houses for 40 years on and off but qualified as a Domestic installer 3 years ago simply to rewire my house and sign it off.

As a semi retired electronics engineer I now need a bit of part time work and a friend in a local estate agent has offered me PIR work for rental properties and house buyers.

I see in the forum that charges are £90-300 for PIR's that seem to be installation reports not PIR's, has there been a change in regulations as form 6 I have looks no more than an hours work.

On another note do you think local electricians would welcome a service that would refer 100% of any work needed to local contractors. ?

Chris

PIRs are now referred to as EICRs. a 9 page document covering test/inspection of existing installations. to do a proper job, could take from 4 hours upwards. hence the cost. avearage house would be half a day test/inspect and an hour or so to complete the cert. so at least £150.

Hi all

I had been wiring and rewiring houses for 40 years on and off but qualified as a Domestic installer 3 years ago simply to rewire my house and sign it off.

As a semi retired electronics engineer I now need a bit of part time work and a friend in a local estate agent has offered me PIR work for rental properties and house buyers.

I see in the forum that charges are £90-300 for PIR's that seem to be installation reports not PIR's, has there been a change in regulations as form 6 I have looks no more than an hours work.

On another note do you think local electricians would welcome a service that would refer 100% of any work needed to local contractors. ?

Chris

Is that the meaningless Visual Condition Report?

can't be meaningless. it's endorsed by God ( god spelt in hebrew as niceic)

PIRs are now referred to as EICRs. a 9 page document covering test/inspection of existing installations. to do a proper job, could take from 4 hours upwards. hence the cost. avearage house would be half a day test/inspect and an hour or so to complete the cert. so at least £150.

Understood. Now I understand the price differences, size of house no of circuits etc and will put my friend right over the changes.

So is this a waste of time for you guys, test and inspection a low earner happy to outsource ?

Chris

Understood. Now I understand the price differences, size of house no of circuits etc and will put my friend right over the changes.

So is this a waste of time for you guys, test and inspection a low earner happy to outsource ?

Chris

In a word no. I do full comprehensive EICR's at a sensible charge. If the customer is happy I do them, if they want them for peanuts they go elsewhere.

I will also do remedial works if asked.

Sounds like you need to do some research!

You'll need a calibrated MFT, PL and PI insurance for a start, and if you are intending offering remedial works scheme membership too.

A valid,proper eicr is a secret known only to those capable and competent who can test and inspect electrical installations to the recomendations of the Iet

All others including estate agents and even il informed so called electricians,sometimes get the proper job confused with the apt named visual condition thingy
The thingie may have a part to play as an interim check between valid eicrs,but they tend to abuse this function by using them as the real deal
Obviously the difference in price of a full blown Eicr and those doing visual thingies. means those who are actually competent to do eicrs are rarely the ones carrying out the work

The conclusion being,your competence aside,because that is an unknown factor
They will no doubt want the minimum accepted by the licensing authority (because they are sometimes as clueless as the general public) and the lowest price,so there is opportunity for you if you want to be a part of the present scam that is inspection and testing in the private rental sector

Some competent sparks have actually had to resort to joining this minimal scam in order to compete with the mess that is electrical reporting

In a word no. I do full comprehensive EICR's at a sensible charge. If the customer is happy I do them, if they want them for peanuts they go elsewhere.

I will also do remedial works if asked.

Sounds like you need to do some research!

You'll need a calibrated MFT, PL and PI insurance for a start, and if you are intending offering remedial works scheme membership too.

Qualified for test and inspection with calibrated kit. Just been out of the industry for so long I am catching up :shades_smile:

Just seemed to be so many variants of the same as Des has just said if I go back I would only want to conform to regs not the market scams

Chris

Reply to PIR confused in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net