Discuss Planning software for semi-industrial installations in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello there,

Can anyone please recommend software for planning an electrical installation? We're in the process of building a workshop and I'd like to plan out all the circuits, outlets and locations of various machinery, ideally with a BoQ. I'd say we are looking at around 50 circuits in total.

I'd like a simple way to represent everything visually when discussing with our electrician. The plan is that I will run all the wiring and then he will perform the supply connection to the CU and perform circuit testing.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions. I looked in the software section of the forum but didn't spot anything.

Many thanks

Pen and paper works well, can be added to or edited on the job.

if you are that way inclined, can be signed and photocopied or photographed to form the basis of a legal agreement.

Pen and paper works well, can be added to or edited on the job.

if you are that way inclined, can be signed and photocopied or photographed to form the basis of a legal agreement.
We've tried that. With the amount of amendments and alterations, it was environmentally unsound even using a pencil. I can't draw for toffee.

There's nothing free that's easy to use. You could use something like LibreCAD jmight be an option if you're fluent with CAD programs but the learning curve to use the program without previous experience isn't going to be worth it for a single job. Also you'd need an add on package to do bill of materials etc. I still sometimes use Microsoft Visio for quick design plans, it came free bundled with an old version of Microsoft Office but it can be downloaded as a standalone program and I'd guess there may be a cloud type version you could subscribe to. It's not a CAD alternative but you can do scale drawings and it can be saved as a dwg or dxf file.

There's nothing free that's easy to use. You could use something like LibreCAD jmight be an option if you're fluent with CAD programs but the learning curve to use the program without previous experience isn't going to be worth it for a single job. Also you'd need an add on package to do bill of materials etc. I still sometimes use Microsoft Visio for quick design plans, it came free bundled with an old version of Microsoft Office but it can be downloaded as a standalone program and I'd guess there may be a cloud type version you could subscribe to. It's not a CAD alternative but you can do scale drawings and it can be saved as a dwg or dxf file.

Makes sense Marvo, thanks.

We have Autocad and even Revit in the office and I did toy with getting someone to help me with it, but it's no use me asking someone to make umpteen amendments as things progress. Could end up being dozens of hours, so I need to try and do this myself. Theres much to consider going forward, I'm not even sure what I want to do yet.

Visio used to be great in the 90's, I remember it well. It did everything a DIYer would ever want, but then it sort of became a bit predatory in monetisation and it's subscription based for quite a sum these days. As you say, for a single job, it's a stretch.

I'll relook at Visio, see if I cant find an older version that doesn't require a subscription. I have one from 1995, but it wont run unless I faff about with a virtual machine.

Short of that, it might well be the method James suggested, but I fear for the rainforests if I have to use paper and pencil.

Reactions: DPG
I pay a monthly subscription (ÂŁ50 / $50) for aCad LTE which is all I ever need to knock up quick schematics and rough-outs. The trick is to take the small amount of time to learn how to use it properly and then it flies.

Reply to Planning software for semi-industrial installations in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net