Discuss plastic mounting box and metal switch in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tomrus

I have a couple of dry lining mounting box (plastic back box), and I want to put a chrome switch plate, can I connect the earth directly to the faceplate of the chrome switch or I also need to replace the mounting box with a metal one?
thanks
Tom

Just connect the earth to the faceplate...you should test to ensure the earth is actually an earth,they arent always...do you have the equipment to do that?

You are ok to terminate the cpc/earth to the crome face plate. You are ok using plastic wall mounted back boxes unless the back box are there for mechanical protection but won't look good with crome switches. Ps, welcome.

Just connect the earth to the faceplate...you should test to ensure the earth is actually an earth,they arent always...do you have the equipment to do that?

Are you competent to do this? We do an R2 test as a minimum in these situations, it's rather important...

i agree with iq, unless qualified/competant leave to the electricians who are, some light switches have more than 2 cables at them..........

i agree with iq, unless qualified/competant leave to the electricians who are, some light switches have more than 2 cables at them..........

thanks guys, I have about 20 switch to replace and electrician asked £200+ to change all of them, I change them by myself and he's coming for testing for £40...

sory Tom but Iv known electricians cockup 2ways and it gets even worse if theres 2,3,4 gang switches As for your spark "testing" for £40 I wouldnt test a DIYers work but thats my opinion I dont DIY my servicing on my car to save a wee bit of money Pay the price n get it done correctly

Reply to plastic mounting box and metal switch in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net