Discuss Plastic to metal consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

walker26

DIY
Reaction score
Hi
Looking for some advice please.
I started renovating my house in 2015 and as part of this I ripped out all the wiring and got my electrician to rewire it including a new plastic consumer unit. There is still some electrical work to do so none of it had been signed off yet.
As the plastic consumer unit was fitted prior to the regulation change I’m assuming that it doesn’t need replacing with a metal one to be signed off. Am I correct? Thanks.

Chris

The only exception to that particular reg, was whether the installation was designed before the applicable date. Typically with new build sites.

A one off installation, I’m not sure you would get away with that? When was the plastic consumer unit installed?

5 years in the making, is quite some time!

It applies to jobs where the design was started under one set of regulations, then it doesn't have to be changed to reflect new regulations - usually applies to flats or large installations though and it may be stretching it a bit for a single dwelling, but in theory if the electrician is happy to sign it off and state on the certificate that it was designed to 17th Edition Amendment 2 then he can do so. I think the metal consumer unit requirement came in January 2016.

The issue may be more than the consumer unit change should have been notified to the council under Part P at the time (or within 28 days of the work). If that was done, then that part of the job can be considered to have been signed off at the time so shouldn't be an issue.

There is no immediate requirement to change a plastic consumer unit if adding a new circuit to it with recent works (with various caveats such as it being in good condition etc).

Thanks for the replies.
Yes, 5 years is a while but it was a bungalow that was gutted, extended and had an upstairs added. I’ve done most of the work on my own and had to start bringing some money in again after the first 2 years. Poor health has slowed me down a bit recently as well. Thankfully I’ve got a reasonably patient wife.

The consumer unit was fitted in mid 2015 along with the majority of the wiring. The unit met regulations when it was fitted but as there is ongoing work, nothing has been signed off. My electrician has been fantastic, couldn’t have asked for more from him but was a bit surprised when he told me that the consumer unit would now need to be upgraded to a metal one. I know he’s not trying to rip me off but just wondering if maybe he’s got his information wrong on this occasion.
Thanks again.

Hi - I agree with your Electrician. The EIC is to certify that new electrical installations are designed, installed and tested prior to them being commissioned. So there is an element of timeliness involved and 5 years is way past that, sorry. I complete an EIC (and Part P approval) when the CU is changed. Then further EIC are done as work is completed and commissioned.

Ok. Thanks guys. Shouldn’t take him long to swap them over the speed he works at and the plastic one can be used in the garage when I get around to it, unless they change the regs again.

all he needs to do is change the box, refitting the guts from the existing plastic box.

Reply to Plastic to metal consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net