Discuss Plenty of jobs out there? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i woldnt say anyones a cowboy just because they wear trainers to work. you just dont need all that health and safety crap in houses, it would take to long to organise and most homeowners just want you in and out so they can go back to normal life.

generally most people have all the health and safety stuff in the back of the van and would you really want someone walking over your carpets in grimey old work boots

most people use common sense in housebashing and yes accidents can happen and everyone here has probably had an accident or near accident in the years they been doing it,.

you can earn 50k in this trade, the comapnies aint lying they are just not telling you the facts of how long it takes to get it.

for answering the bloke who posted the question in the first place.

it is definetly worth doing , it will probably cost you more in the long run(my mate done one of them courses to do plumbing and it cost him about 4000 ) but now he is earning 120 a day on site , and spends most weekends doing private work on price. obviously it doesnt work out for everyone , you can struggle to find work, get knocked by some ******s, but once you get your foot in the door you are well on your way.

you can earn about 25,000 -30,000 a year once fully qualified and if you have your own buisness you could ( a BIG could) you can earn well over 50,000 by having the right contacts and a bit off luck.

if i was you i would just bite the bullet and retrain, but save a bit off cash up for periods where you might not have work and try and buy your tools and equiptment before you start retraining as that puts you one step ahead of alot of apprentices.

it would defintely be worth investing in a cscs card and an IPAF card

i went down the training centre route and it was a good route in for me. i did find work as well after i qualified, true that people are pointing out though its not an easy ride to get work...

No disrespect to the Electrical Trainee's as we all have to make a living but the time served sparks out there are really suffering due to the influx of inexperienced guys.
i did a 5 year apprenticeship, with the old 'c' certificate as an extra aswell as 2 years day release with the ONC and to be offered £7 to £9 per hour from some companies is an absolute kick in the teeth! I am self employed and have a good business but I'm earning less now than 5-10 years ago due to the rates going through the floor. The governing bodies are not doing enough to help our industry and it stinks! I know some Portuguese guys and they say sparks earn £600 euros a month, it has been de skilled that much. Thats where we are headed! Rant over and like I say, FairPlay for the people who want to give sparking a go and try and earn 50k but it wont happen.

Hi op,haven't read it all but my advice is to train to become a maintenance electrician like I am.
I did a four year apprenticeship but a lot of firms take adult apprentices on for decent wages as they know you won't up and leave at the end of it like a lot of the young lads do.
To me it's the only way you'll ever enjoy it and actually get something out of it,domestic commercial site work is pretty boring,very skilled but quite repetitive,fault finding,maintenance and installation are a lot more enjoyable,you get more respect (from what I can gather) and a decent regular wage with pension,holidays,sick scheme,benefits and your not grafting for 12 hours a day lugging **** about and bending conduit etc with some ----- of a boss screaming at you cos you've used 1 fitting too many,maintenance is much more relaxed.
Faultfinding can be mega pressure,but if your trained properly you'll cope,I'm confident I can walk into most fault situations and as long as there's paperwork and manuals there I can get it going or at worst point out the right direction.
Often maintenance hold the cards against management cos without us on their side there's gonna be little chance of them getting it going,I've always had pretty good respect off management,the ones that tried it on soon found out just how long it can take to alter a limit switch or hidden proxy because they can't read a diagram to find it.
Just my two penneth but put it this way,were deep in a recession,have been for a few years and I'm on for £46000 this year,I'm only on £13 per hour but I get time and half for any o/t I do mon-sat and double-time Sunday,I get 10 days off straight every month,every other weekend off thur -mon,never work more than three days in a row (excluding o/t of course) and still get fortnight at Xmas and 3 weeks off in the summer.
Yes,I've got nearly 20 years in this game under my belt but this is far from a well paid maintenance gig,I was earning £55-60000 in ford and nowhere near killing myself,that was 4-5 years ago as well.

If you can,do it,save the money from the Electrical Trainee course and get something you can take with you all over the world.

Don't believe me?Pm engineer 54,netblindpaul or Tony and see how those guys have got on over the years.

Good luck however it pans out.

Reply to Plenty of jobs out there? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net