• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Plug melted to dishwasher in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Si_Faz

-
Reaction score
Evening folks, I hope someone here can help me? I recently found on removal of my knackered integral dishwasher the plug that had evidently been pressed against the back of the dishwasher has melted and fused with the dishwashers insulation.

I have lived in this house since brand new and moved in with this appliance fitted, the house actually belongs to the MOD so I cant just modify it without repercussions. I need to install a new dishwasher but I cannot currently find one that will fit the space I have (with the power socket directly behind the bloody thing)

I have asked the MOD to move the socket and they have thus far refused. Can any of you lovely folk advise me on any kind of regulation that I can use as back up to get them to shift it?

There is an Isolator switch on top of the cabinet to isolate that outlet so I have a feeling they may be legally covered. I still feel like Linden homes made a mistake installing it where they did.

Any help would be extremely welcome!!

Simon

Hi,what is the arrangement you have,with the property owner/manager,with reference to alterations,etc?

Most landlords have some kind of contract...but your's has ICBM's;)

I'd tell them that with the overheating there could easily have been a fire, it would be a simple job to blank off the socket and relocate to an adjacent base unit and this would solve the problem.

I'd tell them that with the overheating there could easily have been a fire, it would be a simple job to blank off the socket and relocate to an adjacent base unit and this would solve the problem.

I fully appreciate the ease of the job, because of the bureaucracy of it all they wont do it unless I have a good reason. (apparently wanting a safe dishwasher isn't a good enough reason)

Hi,what is the arrangement you have,with the property owner/manager,with reference to alterations,etc?

Most landlords have some kind of contract...but your's has ICBM's;)

I have whats called Licence to occupy, I don't get normal tenants rights. I cant make any changes without permission and they wont give me permission to move it. So I need to prove that it HAS to be moved

You stand absolutely no hope of getting this sorted out. The MOD have farmed out their property management to Carrillion and they don't give a crap.

Also you do not have a rental agreement, you have a license to occupy which gives you fewer rights than the average illegal immigrant.

There's no specific regulation for the positioning of socket outlets so you are pretty much stumped.

Who owns the dishwasher?

You stand absolutely no hope of getting this sorted out. The MOD have farmed out their property management to Carrillion and they don't give a crap.

Also you do not have a rental agreement, you have a license to occupy which gives you fewer rights than the average illegal immigrant.

There's no specific regulation for the positioning of socket outlets so you are pretty much stumped.

Who owns the dishwasher?

The MOD own the broken one and are taking it away.

I can fit a free standing unit but it would stick out about 3 inches from the cabinet. and where the dish washer is located is a thruway of sorts to my living room. (the kitchen is in the centre of the house)

TBH mate there’s not a lot you can do. I would be going with the freestanding one but without knowing the layout of the property only you know if you can live with it or not.

If there’s damage to the area around the socket takes photos and inform the estate manager to cover yourself. Also when you have the annual electrical inspection point the socket out so it can be tested correctly as I know they often don’t do a full inspection and just change the batteries in the smoke alarm.

TBH mate there’s not a lot you can do. I would be going with the freestanding one but without knowing the layout of the property only you know if you can live with it or not.

If there’s damage to the area around the socket takes photos and inform the estate manager to cover yourself. Also when you have the annual electrical inspection point the socket out so it can be tested correctly as I know they often don’t do a full inspection and just change the batteries in the smoke alarm.

It's so frustrating, if it was my house I could sort it. Even if I was renting I could probably sort it. Just stupid military ---- contracts making life hard!

If you’re on Facebook take a look at the FYB page. Carillion get a good slating on there

If you’re on Facebook take a look at the FYB page. Carillion get a good slating on there

Yeah I like that page, not sure how far it'll get me mind. I was also looking at the Carillion hate pages. But again, moaning probably wont get me far. I was hoping for legal facts to give me a solid argument. Never mind. Maybe I'll go the H&S route and make out like my kids will brae themselves on a protruding dishwasher.

As they have provided the dishwasher this comes under ISTIEE regulations (PAT). You can ask to see the testing records for this appliance, good luck with that.

TBH you could try any legal route but you will get nowhere, they have very well paid barristers on their payroll.

You've seen in the past how far people have got with much more serious issues, you've more chance of curling one out of the moon than getting any where with this.

Personally,before posting in such a public place,having had an incident,caused by the fitting of my own "un-entitled" pot washer...
I would have got a spark to sort it,and just added that cost,to the depreciation on another dishwasher.

Adapt,overcome,survive :)

Reply to Plug melted to dishwasher in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back