Discuss Portasol soldering iron in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys
Looking to invest in a soldering iron for a job and heard portasol were good so have been looking at the super pro gas kit. What type of nozzle would be best for soldering leads onto a led tape kit and what would be the best type of solder ?

Regards
Graeme

I have an older version of the Portasol soldering Iron.
It has something like 6 different heads.
One is a knife blade, another is for hot air, the rest are all for soldering.
I would use the smallest tip for LED tape, to confine the heat to the smallest area possible so as to prevent damage to the tape.

I have a cheap and cheerful gas soldering iron which is a Godsend for when there's no power available, it looks like this except mine is black;
images.jpeg

Like I say they're helluva handy but they're not my first weapon of choice because they don't have good temperature control so overheating solder joints and components being soldered is too easy to do. Also the exhaust ports may it unsuitable for electronics because if you're not really careful you burn things in the surrounding area whilst using it.

Any small pointed tip or small flat tip would work with standard fluxed radio solder.

And keep the vent upright or you will definitely damage it , gets the fingers too if you don't watch it lol.

Edit . Sorry thats slow 3 again.

i have an Iroda one and can recommend it too. use a leaded 60/40 solder, is much more nice to work than unleaded stuff.

i really like my weller pyropen, the temperature control works really well, it is no match for a bench with digital temperature control though.

not cheap though and i got a really big discount on it, the guy i bought it off went to his supervisors to get me the best offer he could

draper rosin core solder is realler good anand get a good solder sucker

this one is very good

86cc6bdbce6ca123b0388d2299731a7d.jpg

Reply to Portasol soldering iron in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, Was speaking to a family member recently, he told me his iron recently made a bang and flash as he plugged it in to the socket, and could...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys Never used LED strip lighting before. Customer wants the cornice strip lighting around bedroom so I can access loft space if required...
Replies
Views
Hi guys I have some industrial lighting circuits to wire in a workshop and was after some fresh ideas/suggestions as to how i could best do this...
Replies
Views
Hi All New to this forum, have read the posts on here from google but only recently signed up. I'm having some issues and some input would be...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi there, I’m a new member to the forum and felt like I could do with some additional insight into a fault I came across on a call-out at the...
Replies
Views

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock