Discuss Power needed on Around Britain Charity Walk in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Omentom

Hello all, I hope you can help me. In a few months I am setting off on a gruelling charity challenge. I am man hauling a shed on wheels around the country to raise money for the children's hospice. I am doing this also as a challenge to myself and because I want to see the country before it disappears completely as we know it. I have set aside two years for this. The light weight shed is underway and to be honest I have no practical skills at all. I need advice as to how to have one working plug socket in the shed at all times. I will use camp sites here and there but will mainly be putting up in farmers fields and in scotland very empty areas. Can I achieve this with wind or solar? Are there simple light weight kits I could buy? Budget is also a major thing. I need to keep costs to a bare minimum. So I would be very grateful indeed for some advice on this. I am hoping to raise £250,000. Many thanks in advance. Tom

Good luck with you charitable efforts Tom. It's quite an interesting question and I'm looking forward to reading the suggestions you get. I'd guess a shed on 4 wheels would be electrically classed as a caravan but that is my guess, others may have a different take on this.

Are you imagining your shed having a trailing cable and plug that can be plugged in at campsites etc? Problem with solar or wind power is the large and heavy batteries required to accumulate and store the power generated until the time comes to use it.

It has to take someone from my part of the world to come up with the hair brained idea of displaying sheds to the Scots

Only joking of course and I wish you well

My first thought was that battery power because of the load (as in pulling power)is out of the question
Archies first thought,using the motion to generate may make it feasible,maybe to possibly consider have light weight reduced AH storage batteries

The means to provide what you require may be easy enough,that is if if the contraption was not sightseeing around the UK but just sitting in little ole Brecon static

If you were riding a bike or something similar then generation may be considered
Interesting and worthy idea,I wish you well

I'm still unsure where the best place for this thread is. I think I'll move it to the Green Energy forum for a while seeing as there's possibly PV panels/wind generation/batteries involved.

key thing is to know what you;re actually trying to power and for how long per day.

then you size the battery and panel from that information.

Reply to Power needed on Around Britain Charity Walk in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net