Discuss Power supply unknown output in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
I have one of these power supplies.....

Can it power this light....?

The PSU has a USB connection, and the light can "mate" with that...but the PSU says its output is 5V or 9V....how will it KnoW if the light needs 5v or 9v.....there is no selector switch on the PSU

Your power supply is a USB C type connector. I can't see where it says what sort of USB connector the light uses. It may be USB micro.

Thanks the PSU does have a USB type C connector, but thats on the end of the detachable cable........i can take that cable out of the "wall-plug PSU thing", and i could plug the light's USB connector into the "wall-plug" PSU thing, but is it wise to do so?

It says USB powered and so it should be safe to do so yes. Ensure the output current of the power supply is sufficient for the lamps requirements, but any modern USB power supply should be fine.

Thanks the PSU does have a USB type C connector, but thats on the end of the detachable cable........i can take that cable out of the "wall-plug PSU thing", and i could plug the light's USB connector into the "wall-plug" PSU thing, but is it wise to do so?
You've chosen an unnecessarily sophisticated (and costly!) charger to power that light!
USB-C includes the ability for a load to negotiate charging voltage/ current with the supply, can be up to 20V.
I believe the light you've chosen has a good old-fashioned big USB plug on it, and assuming the charger has a matching socket, the default output from the charger will be 5V. So will be fine. But cheaper options are available 🤪!
Edit: sorry, my bad, light requires a 2A supply. Don't use a cheap £1 1Amp one!

Last edited:
Thanks,
The attached pictures from 2 different angles, show 2 x USB-A and 2x USB-mini-B ? Would you agree? (they are each cables with USB-A on one end, and the two connectors the other end.

Also, the power supply of the top post, can i also use it to charge my "soap-bar" mobile phone? (as long as i put the right USB connector with it).....because at the moment, i charge my phone with a "5V 1A" wall wart.......if i start shrging my phone with the wall-wart of the top post....how is it going to know whether to give 5V or 9V?.........If it gives 9V it may blow the phone up....without the schematic and bill of materials of the phone its impossible to know this?

Attachments

• which USBs.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 4
  • which which USBs _1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 4
That power brick in post #1 will always give out 5V UNLESS you use the usb lead that came with it, and plug that into a device that requires other than 5V, in which case the PSU will communicate with the device, (eg USC-C phone, which you haven't got) via the chip in the cable, and negotiate the charging parameters required.
Don't worry about it damaging your phone. These things are designed to be pretty foolproof (despite being sophisticated, or do I mean complicated?)

Feel free to Google, e.g USB-C - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C

Last edited:

Reply to Power supply unknown output in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net