Discuss Pricing help in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

robsparx

Have recently gone self employed,and started to pick up a bit of work.

firstly, whats an average price most sole traders would charge by the hour for small jobs?

secondly, i am quoting for wiring a self contained cottage type thing. upstairs has 1 bed 1 bathroom. downstairs has kitchen, living room, entrance lobby

I'm installing 30 low energy downlighters, 15 twin sso, 2 co ax points, 2 bt points, 3 data points, 3 fuse spurs, 2 single sso, 1 40a cooker point, 2 smoke and 1 heat alarm, 4 outside lights

Also a 9kw electric combination boiler but this will be supplied and fittted by the plumber, i'll just be connecting up.

will all be wired into a wylex 10 way dual rcd CU

testing and signing off part p done by myself

i've come to about £1900. 7 days @ £160 per day + materials.

Any thoughts? not sure if maybe i've allowed too long to do it.

Are you doing the rewire on your own mate.Do you need to chase any walls out.Will the house be empty when you do the rewire.Sounds like a fair price mate but the houses i've rewired in the past usually take 3 to 4 days.At the end of the day mate you don't want to do it for nothing.The way things are at the moment as well mate,you will always get the so called sparks on the horses who can do it for half the price.Good luck anyway mate:)

sorry wasnt quite detailed enough. It is completely gutted. pretty much new build. some walls have to be chased, some will be plasterboard. about 50/50. doing it on my own. I think 7 days is a bit much.

That includes all the materials at cost price aswell. what kind of mark up do people usually put on materials?

The builder who i know (my mates stepdad) is friends with the people, but i'm not. And its on the grounds of a fairly massive house so i dont think their too strapped for cash tbh.

i know the builders son did quote for it a while ago, but then got too busy to do it which is how i've got it. might ring him and find out his price but wanted to try estimate on my own first, and see how it compares

Sounds a fair do mate, i price at 150 a day or 20 per hour depending on the kind of work. dont put the price up any more just for the sake of it, if you think 7 days will be enough then price at that, look after yourself AND the customer.

hmmm yeah, dont wanna whack £500 on top for the sake of it (although i could do with the £££). i'll put a mark up on materials, and a bit for petrol and be done with it.

i'm only just starting out, so i'd rather be a bit cheaper now and put my prices up later.

gave the builder my price today. went in at £2100. He said 'oh, it seems a bit high, how much you charging per hour?' i told him i'd allowed 7.5 days labour @ £20 per hour = £1200 for labour. He told me that £20 per hour is a bit high in this climate. i thought it was pretty reasonable.

i still think i've over allowed for time a bit so i might knock off a days labour, but tbh i think £2100 is reasonable. anyone think any different?

£2100 is a fair price so I'd stand my ground. I know you are starting out on your own but neither do you want a reputation for being so cheap you can't earn a decent living. Best of luck with it.

Andy

Reply to Pricing help in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net