Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Product recomendation please for Chrome Wall sockets with USB in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. projecthome

projecthome New EF Member

Hi all,
    I am looking for some advice please. I am refurbishing my home and want to replace the current white plastic wall sockets with Polished Chrome ones that have integrated USB chargers.

Unfortunately, having looked at the vast array of brands out there and their reviews, it appears that quite a few brands seem to have faults with the USB chargers?!

As I really don't want to waste a lot of money, I would be incredibly grateful if any kindly electrician would help with feedback on which brand would be best to buy!

Also, will all brands fit the existing pattrice boxes (apologies if I have spelt this incorrectly)?!

Thanking you in advance.

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

My advice is to avoid them. There is no way to turn off the integrated transformer and we all know what happens to cheap imported USB chargers.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. projecthome

WOW.... Now did not expect that!

Thank you so much for your prompt reply and kindness in taking the time to offer the advice, which of course I will take.

Will purchase chrome wall sockets WITHOUT usb chargers instead.... hate to ask again, but any advice on which brand?

Thank you once again Murdoch

• Like Like x 1
  4. Des 56

Des 56 Trusted Advisor

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. projecthome

Hi Des 56...... BG Nexus it is then!

A huge thank you, I am so incredibly grateful to both yourself, Murdoch and the kind generosity of this forum, thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Just avoid brands from the big retailers such as wickes, b&q, etc

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

I do think that the days of the use of USB as the universal charging point is numbered. If you think about it, its only been a 'standard' connect method for a very few years.
    The new USB-C will soon be the way we connect, so all of those new USB charge points will need to be ripped out and replaced.
    Oh joy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. projecthome

Well, who knew?! .....there's a piece of invaluable advice!

Thank you Taylortwocities, much appreciated and duly noted!!!

Thank you too Murdoch and have also taken the advice of Des 56 and am currently placing my order online with 'Shop 4 Electrical' having followed the link supplied!

Thank you all, once again!

9. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Bit late now; I installed a BG chrome socket with usb charger (admittedly when they were first available) in my own home. Neither of the usb sockets work now. I'd put more sockets, and but extra plug in chargers as and when, IMO.

PS keep the receipt

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    i've installed about a dozen BG usb sockets. no problems as yet. ( been in 3 months.) and they fit a 25mm back box. unlike some wihich need 35mm.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

The other reason that i do not like those things is this

IMG_5549.JPG

You have to disconnect the bloomin things to do your testing:mad::mad::mad:

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. NDG Elecs

NDG Elecs Electrician's Arms

The standard plastic BG USB sockets fit well into 25mm backboxes as you say. The metal BG Nexus ones proclaim to fit a 25mm also, but they are a bloody nightmare in reality. The trouble with them is that they fill the entire space of the back box (left to right, top to bottom), which means there is no wiggle room whatsoever. 30mm minimum I would say for that range. They are nice quality though, better than their CUs.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1