Discuss Proof of apprenticeship 1970s in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A question to anyone who served their apprenticeship in the Uk during the 70s and early 80s,do you remember what paperwork you were given on successful completion of you apprenticeship,I hit my C&G certificates and I remember getting a paper sjib card but nothing else, the card was lost a long time ago, now trying to get a new grading card but without proof of my apprenticeship it is difficult,has anyone else been in this position, by the way I have always worked as an electrician /electrical fitter since 1976.cheers Donnie

I completed my apprenticeship in 1985, had my C&G 236 1 and 2 Certificates and JIB Certificate of successful completion and that was it at the time.

Do you have any details/proof of the C&G or SJIB card? If they can establish you really did have them it also proves you met the qualifications originally.

To be fair proof of related work/employment in the years after qualifying between should be more important!

Edit: Maybe you have something from former employer(s) on getting past job(s) that says you met the requirements?

Thanks for the replys, I have my C&G certificates, but not the sjib card, sjib have no record of it, I have supplied them with a list if all my employers since 1976,but at the moment my application is on hold, they are asking for a list of the modules I completed, but as far as I remember we didn't do modules at that time, I think they started in about 78/79.

OP did you do an indentured apprenticeship.
Hi Dave, I think it was an indentured apprenticeship, although so long ago
Contact City & Guilds, they ought to have records of your certificate somewhere
Contact City & Guilds, they ought to have records of your certificate somewhere
Thanks, I have already received a copy of the C&G certificate, it is proving my apprenticeship that is the problem now. Cheers

In the '70s, the minimum requirement for qualifying to be an electrician was the City and Guilds 'A certificate'.
Additionally, B cert for approved electrician and C cert for Technician grade.
If you have personal details of any of these, they will be more enough to prove capability.
Applying for a grading card may involve a matter of upgrading with an 18th Edition course.

In the '70s, the minimum requirement for qualifying to be an electrician was the City and Guilds 'A certificate'.
If you have personal details of any of these, they will be more enough to prove capability.
Applying for a grading card may involve a matter of upgrading with an 18th Edition course.
Did not do the C cert, too busy enjoying myself on site, in all honesty dont think I was clever enough with all that theory.

That is interesting, I have my C&G A certificate, but SJIB are insisting on a B certificate before I could get Electrician grade, and also proof of apprenticeship this is difficult as I don't have the paperwork, I have even given them the name of the journeyman that mentored me for 4 years, and also other sparks who served their time at the same company at the same time as me. Thanks for the information I will keep on trying, cheers

Coincidentally, was having a huge clear-out recently and found my "O Level" certificates...before they were called "O Grades" or "Standard Grades"...delighted to see I did actually pass my "O Level" Arithmetic, having failed the "Prelim"...and I can still recite the 12 x tables...which is bludi useful when doing quick calcs!
God, I'm showing my age now!

Any chance your apprenticeship was managed by the CITB it could be worth checking with them

A few years ago I went looking at the ECS site and was surprised how much info they had on me despite having never used the site before, the interesting part was initially I couldn't sign on / logon to get access to the site at the first attempt while it acknowledged my existance some of my details had been entered by others incorrectly when they set up their database from I believe were the JIB records, I had to call them in the end to try to unlock the problem as I was unhappy about them having my data on their system that I couldn't access after getting past a few jobsworth's I eventually found someone with a bit of sense that found my D.O.B. had been entered incorrectly stopping me accessing the site but they then wanted me to send in my birth certificate to validate my D.O.B., wasn't too happy about that and a few weeks later at an Elex I collered one of the head bods on the ECS stand who asked me to call him the following week and it got sorted.

So I'm wondering if the SJIB's database has lost your info because of a data input error, may be worth having a look at the ECS site

Did not do the C cert, too busy enjoying myself on site, in all honesty dont think I was clever enough with all that theory.
C cert was an extra 2 year course, generally completed after apprenticeship (second year, at least)
Some employers were unwilling to allow day release, I recall. Understandable, to some degree.
Most doing C ended up as foremen at decent size firms, at least, if not design engineers.

That is interesting, I have my C&G A certificate, but SJIB are insisting on a B certificate before I could get Electrician grade, and also proof of apprenticeship this is difficult as I don't have the paperwork, I have even given them the name of the journeyman that mentored me for 4 years, and also other sparks who served their time at the same company at the same time as me. Thanks for the information I will keep on trying, cheers
I would have thought that requirements of the 70s would be suitable, although the A cert was pretty basic and was generally taken after the second year of apprenticeship. It involved manual skills, Regulations and basic Principles.
It was the requirement to be an electrician, along with apprenticeship.
The B cert was like a continuation from the A, much more Regs and Principles orientated. I don't know why they're insisting on it.

C cert was a different story altogether and included a complicated Project section....but , even with that, I can only get a gold card 'approved electrician' grade card, these days.

I hope you sort something out, Donnie. You have qualification and experience, obviously. There should be some record hidden away somewhere as UNG indicates.
The problem is changing the goalposts...or those deciding the rules.

Last edited:

Reply to Proof of apprenticeship 1970s in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net