Search the forum,

Discuss Prosecution in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

there is one, better still if the fan manufactures could build a inline fuse holder or thermal cut out to stop all this booox
i heard of a cu with a 3amp mcb dedicated to supplying extractors?
Totally agree with you, how do you fuse a fan at 3a which has a L/SWL from the bathroom light ? The last one I installed I wired the supply to the bathroom light via a FCU to protect both fan L and SWL.

btw what type of fan are we discussing? one of those cheap £12- ones or something like a greendale
also if you energize a bathroom fan then jam the impellar does it get overheated and catch fire?

Hmmmm, so the ECA are making a bit of a push regarding 134.1.1 ? This presumably includes torquing of terminals in distribution boards ?

In other totally unrelated news, I see the ECA have started selling torque screwdriver sets.

We could also try and instal a rcd socket, and chuck a 3A fuse in a plug and flex to the fan. Should more or less comply. Lol

In all i have never done a 3A fuse down on a bathroom fan, but what was the prosecutions findings and what was the fine ?? I know he didnt mention the company, but normally you get a tidbit of how much etc.

i think most fans' instructions call for just the perm. L to be fused, not the s/l.

Now you mention it my NICEIC assessor was banging on about fusing fans at my last assessment. When he asked me what I did, I just said I followed BS7671 and manufacturers instructions. He accepted that and then mentioned the fused switches, others have also highlighted.

Time to invest in 3amp MCBs i think, although if everyone did that I guess they would change the game and insist on 1amp fuses to make sure they've got another get out of claim card

I always fuse down to 3a where specified in the instructions. Many actually call for local DP isolation. Easiest way to do this IS to fuse down the whole of the bathroom lights, thus encompassing the switched and perm lives. Nobody can argue then. It's a ballache if the fuse blows of course, cos it takes out the lights as well......but hey ho. The fusing down is a bit of a mystery to me, cos the circuit is protected at 6a anyway! And would a 3a fuse blow before a 6a MCB operated?

Just had a quick scout on the good old google, apparantly MK make a 3A MCB? really? i never knew 3Amp MCB's even existed, where the F have i been living all this time!

If it is true about fans needing 3A, then if its a new build you could take it from its own circuit...i fear for this though, wont be long before literally everything will have its own dedicated circuit.

just looked on the IET forums, and low and behold, its mentioned on there, via an NIC inspection, but from 12 months ago, and story says its from recent years, seems like a bit of NIC fore play before they s***w you

IET Forums - Fuse protection for extraction fans

Just had a quick scout on the good old google, apparantly MK make a 3A MCB? really? i never knew 3Amp MCB's even existed, where the F have i been living all this time!

If it is true about fans needing 3A, then if its a new build you could take it from its own circuit...i fear for this though, wont be long before literally everything will have its own dedicated circuit.

u only had to ask lol

Reply to Prosecution in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock