Discuss Push buttons wired in parallel replace in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hello guys

Block of flats, communal areas currently have a time lag push button system in place.

They want the buttons replaced with PIRs however there is no neutral at the switches?

Are the neutral free push buttons not very good? What are the options.

hello guys

Block of flats, communal areas currently have a time lag push button system in place.

They want the buttons replaced with PIRs however there is no neutral at the switches?

Are the neutral free push buttons not very good? What are the options.
You need to be careful chrispush bottoms can get you locked up, especialy if you push them together, (see title) :eek:

I looked at this for some flats near me. You can get PIR switches that do not require a neutral. But they are pricey, and you need to check that you can parallel them up, and that the lighting load/type is suitable.
And then you have to think about what happens at night time. How is the outside light controlled? How can anybody, approaching the building in the dark from outside, find the doorlock.

Etc etc.

What is the reason for this change, money saving?

What about these?
Thats what I proposed to my customer, Plus a separate outside PIR on each block for the outdoor lights. The issue was running costs, as all the lights are also switched on by a photocell, so they run for a long time in winter.
But the cost for me to upgrade 5 blocks of flats (thats nearly 30 PIRs + other stuff) was too much. ROI something like 10 years + !

Just decided to change out lights for LEDs on a rolling programme (like put in an LED bulkhead when an existing one dies).
That would halve the running cost, eventually.

I'm still waiting for 'T' management committee to decide........I should live so long.

Reply to Push buttons wired in parallel replace in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net