Discuss Putting 2 x storage heaters on existing household circuits Consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

grumpygit

Hi

I have a customer who lives on the 2nd floor in an upmarket flat in Cambridge. She used to have some kind of hot air vented system for her heating which has now been removed.

She would like to have 2 x decent sized storage heaters fitted with 2 or 3 panel heaters as a top up. At the moment she just has a ample sized consumer unit to run her everyday electrics and no CU or meter for cheap tarrif economy 7 or 10.
The CU is obviously in the flat, but the meter is on the bottom floor in a communial area approx 15 to 20 mtrs away, which would make putting new tails for a CU a huge pain.

Seeing as there are only 2 x storage heaters I was wondering if it was feasible to stick the two new storage heater circuits on the existing CU and get her supplier to change the tarrif(and meter) so the heaters can be heated with off peak cheap power(along with all the other circuits)... BUT!

1. For a start is this possible?

2. And if it is, does anyone have any ideas what I could do for timers, I have a few thoughts but would be inerested in anyones elses, I obviously do not want her heaters running on peak time power by mistake.

Thanks GG

a dual tarriff meter will not require additional tails. use din rail times/s in existing CU and fire the heaters through contactors.

a dual tarriff meter will not require additional tails.

i thought that it did ?
well at least 1 extra wire from the teleswitch to the heating CU anyway.

anyways , personally i'd forgo any alterations to the existing supply & metering as it sounds a pain to change and just feed the proposed 2 heaters from the flat CU via seperate 13A timeclocks set to come on after midnight.
not ideal but will be relatively quick and cheap to install.

afaik, a dual tariff meter switches between the 2 tariffs automatically, so any leccy used by anything in the property off-peak is charged at lower rate.

sme years ago, was looking to buy a huse where the dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer were all on timers. switch them to ON in the evening, and the timers would kick in at 1.00am.

Yep, as stated when on E7 or E10 for that matter the whole supply goes over (off peak) weather it be a dedicated off peak cu or general domestic cu.

Thanks all

Will be sticking the 2 storage heaters on the existing CU and changing the tarrif to an overnight cheap rate, and then putting some kind of timer near the storage heater isolater

GG

Hi

I have a customer who lives on the 2nd floor in an upmarket flat in Cambridge. She used to have some kind of hot air vented system for her heating which has now been removed.

She would like to have 2 x decent sized storage heaters fitted with 2 or 3 panel heaters as a top up. At the moment she just has a ample sized consumer unit to run her everyday electrics and no CU or meter for cheap tarrif economy 7 or 10.
The CU is obviously in the flat, but the meter is on the bottom floor in a communial area approx 15 to 20 mtrs away, which would make putting new tails for a CU a huge pain.

Seeing as there are only 2 x storage heaters I was wondering if it was feasible to stick the two new storage heater circuits on the existing CU and get her supplier to change the tarrif(and meter) so the heaters can be heated with off peak cheap power(along with all the other circuits)... BUT!

1. For a start is this possible?

2. And if it is, does anyone have any ideas what I could do for timers, I have a few thoughts but would be inerested in anyones elses, I obviously do not want her heaters running on peak time power by mistake.

Thanks GG
No gas supply I assume then?

Reply to Putting 2 x storage heaters on existing household circuits Consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net