Discuss Puzzling installation in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

These are the EICRS I hate, you can argue that it is compliant based on test results but in my mind it’s not and needs upgrading is there any RCD protection in here? It’s well outdated and I would recommend the consideration of rewiring the property it’s well overdue isnt it. Many will argue that it’s not needed right now but when will you change that thought process? When it’s too late?
I know I'm mad but I like this sort of a challenge! (there is up front RCD btw)

These are the sort of EICRs you need they build your knowledge and experience.
Yes true but you need to have your books to hand don’t you. Or even better post on here and guys like yourself help out. (I HOPE) i will be going through that process in the next year or so when Wales puts it in legislation to have an up to date EICR like our compatriots in England and Scotland.

I knew I'd read of this before once.
EDIT doesn't seem to let me link to an IET forum article....
Some interesting comments about the span between metal conduit and the earliest PVC, apparently the cpc's were sometimes connected to the conduit using a threaded earth coupling.
1957 is suggested.
I'll beat the system....!
1618955833258.png

I knew I'd read of this before once.
Some interesting comments about the span between metal conduit and the earliest PVC, apparently the cpc's were sometimes connected to the conduit using a threaded earth coupling.
1957 is suggested.
That links not working for me for some reason - what's the thread title?

Sounds about right - I guess it's better than it being VIR... And too early for green goo too...

That links not working for me for some reason - what's the thread title?

Sounds about right - I guess it's better than it being VIR... And too early for green goo too...
Yea I can’t open the link but I understand what you’re trying to display by the wording. I’ve come across a few older installs which were wired in singles and earthed through the conduits. Was great when I was rewiring them. Tied on and pulled through new pvc twin and earth and got paid per property these properties with conduits earned me mega £££ and the boys I worked with enjoyed the ? when we finished early ???

It doesn't let me link to IET forum:
View attachment 84908
View attachment 84909
Ah yes, I'd forgotten that certain other forums are blocked, however sneakily you try to list them....

The house is older than that, but may well have been rewired from the original conduit installation - though no surface signs left of conduit - it might be hidden behind the skirting board I guess....

But that begs the question as to where the conduit is earthed - the Zs is too low for it to be acting as a rod, and possibly even too low for it to be directly using any pipes - but the main bonding may be increasing that.

The water main bonding wasn't visually available, just to add to the fun, though verified by testing...

If it is late 50s wiring then it goes to show how good comparatively PVC is since there was very little sign of 'aging'

What did the 13th say about RFC cpcs I wonder?

If this is run from a 'genuine' source, rather than via extraneous bonding, then can a single suitable sized earth at each point be considered safe for fault protection on an RFC? and if so what is that size?

Dropping it to a 20A radial would not be a major problem to be honest - it's 7 sockets in total - and the whole property is on a 60A fuse in any case...

Reply to Puzzling installation in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net