Search the forum,

Discuss PV immersion heater proportional control in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes, the Immersion was installed on Monday. Installation is straightforward provided time is taken to read the manual first. I’m very impressed and so is my customer, he mentioned that the boiler is hardly running at all and water is always hot.

My Immersun is performing well, so far I have used 54kwh to heat the water, all of which would have been consumed by the grid with no monitary gain by me because my Solar installation is a free install & maintainence for 25years.

Brian, then yours was a very smart move! - A lot of those that have the free installs don't realise that they won't use a significant amount of what is generated without changing habits etc. Well done, and thank you for your input and feedback.

@gr7 good to hear.

Yes, the Immersion was installed on Monday. Installation is straightforward provided time is taken to read the manual first. I’m very impressed and so is my customer, he mentioned that the boiler is hardly running at all and water is always hot.

Hi,

So does the unit sit next to the consumer unit and you just wire the immersion circuit through it? or are there two parts to it?

What happens when you have a programmer elsewhere that usually controls the hot water? do you simply set that to permanently on and use the new box to program the hot water separately?

Thanks

The most convenient location for the unit is adjacent to the CU with immersion circuit wired through it, there is also a sensor which needs to be clipped around the tails. I have just fitted one today where the Immersun replaced an existing timer and controls used to bring in the immersion heater on economy 7 and operate the dual immersion heaters. The Immersun has a built in timer which has been programmed to do the same job only in a more elegant mannner. In this case the sensor lead was extended to around 3m in length to reach the meter tails downstairs.

We install EMMA and are now installing Immersun. The Emma is grossly over priced and we have to wait and see with Immersun?
I agree Blueflash, the Emma is a very high cost outlay especially for a "retro install". I have said the cost could only be justified when the Emma was installed at the same time as the PV system.This way the high price of the Emma could be hidden in the overall system price.
I can now give an update to the Immersun device I have been testing. The device has exceeded my expectations and can report after a month of testing that it does everything it says in its specification. The maximum output I have been able to monitor has been 2.9kw over a period of about an hour and the excellent heat sink and case design has meant the temperature rise of the device is minimal. I decided to turn off the central heating boiler completely from the outset of this trial, to see if the Immersun and solar power were able to heat the hot water enough to the level at which we have been used when soley the gas boiler.I am pleased to report up to now (nearly 4 weeks of use) there has not been a need to augment the system using the gas boiler.
For testing purposes I have fitted a digital electronic thermometer 3/4 way up the hot tank to monitor the tank temerature and set the immersion heater thermostat t0 65 degrees C ( the gas boiler water temperature is set to 55 C. I must say that we have been much less waistful in use of the hot water by not leaving the hot tap running unecessary!

After a month now the Immersun has almost become "transparent" to me. I have now taken all the measurements that I require and am almost taking the Immersun for granted already.
I will carry out one more extension to the wiring to add the boiler control which will enable the Immersun device to control the Boiler hot water mode during the winter months to maximise the systems efficiency when the solar power is greatly reduced.

Im making some enquiries about getting an ImmerSun device myself, certainly the anecdotal evidence seems to be mounting up in its favour. Im just waiting for a reply now from a nearby supplier & fitter to see if Im in his catchment area or not.

Im making some enquiries about getting an ImmerSun device myself, certainly the anecdotal evidence seems to be mounting up in its favour. Im just waiting for a reply now from a nearby supplier & fitter to see if Im in his catchment area or not.

I may be able to give you a suppliers contact with or without an install package.It is very easy to install.I have attached a photo of the one I'm trailing at the moment.
Isolator & Immersun.jpg

Not necessarily - download the installation manual from their website - can be used for anything that is 'resistive' - immersion/storage heaters/towel rails etc.

Yes i understand it can be used for heating as well etc but was mainly on about water heating, when used in this context it heats the top element? and the bottom one carries on as normal via heating controls if the top has not heated enough etc?

Yes i understand it can be used for heating as well etc but was mainly on about water heating, when used in this context it heats the top element? and the bottom one carries on as normal via heating controls if the top has not heated enough etc?

You could wire it to the bottom one if you wanted!

Usually the bottom one is associated with off peak so may need a bit of jiggery pokery to allow a 'top-up' with off-peak.

You can wire it to both immersions if you have two. It has output 'load sensing' and a 'changeover relay' with several different software selectable options on how the relay is used. So with 2 immersions, you wire the top one as the primary via the relays NC contacts and the lower immersion as the secondary via the relay's NO contacts. The immersun then (proportionally) feeds to the top immersion until such time the top of the tank gets to temperature and the thermostat in the top immersion goes open circuit. The immersun then detects there's no longer a load on the primary output, so it switches the relay and now applies proportional output to the secondary (lower immersion). It periodically checks the primary load and will restart supplying it when it comes back in circuit.
We've wired one up similar to this so that it first heats the HWC via the immersion then switches to the element in the towel rail.

You can wire it to both immersions if you have two. It has output 'load sensing' and a 'changeover relay' with several different software selectable options on how the relay is used. So with 2 immersions, you wire the top one as the primary via the relays NC contacts and the lower immersion as the secondary via the relay's NO contacts. The immersun then (proportionally) feeds to the top immersion until such time the top of the tank gets to temperature and the thermostat in the top immersion goes open circuit. The immersun then detects there's no longer a load on the primary output, so it switches the relay and now applies proportional output to the secondary (lower immersion). It periodically checks the primary load and will restart supplying it when it comes back in circuit.
We've wired one up similar to this so that it first heats the HWC via the immersion then switches to the element in the towel rail.

If the bottom one is wired off the E7 and is switched on by your electricity meter through an MCB in the board, would the Immersun allow the off peak element to come on in the 7 hours overnight if the water wasnt hot enough, can it be wired to allow this, or would you simply wire through this and setup the on board timer to run for the 7 hours of the economy 7 period for that element. If you get what i mean?

because during the day it wouldnt allow any immersion to be switched on unless it had enough power, so will it allow the power through during the night when there is none?

There is a volt free pair of change over relay contacts that you can route to the bottom immersion heater and have the common connected to the immersion heater live ,the normally closed contact would be connected to the E7 and the normally open would connect to the CU 240 ac.
When th immersun was satisfied for heat by the top immersion heater then the bottom immersion would be supplied by 240 v normal CU supply. When the immersun was not supplying any surplus power and both immersion heaters were satisfied then then the E7 supply wiring would always mimic the way before the Immersun was installed.So after dark (no Solar PV) your E7 would operate as normal.

I hope this helps

Reply to PV immersion heater proportional control in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back