Search the forum,

Discuss PV tripping another RCD on seperate circuit? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Morgan keith

We have installed a PV system which has 3 inverters and is protected by a 300mA RCCB. It runs directly back to the main incomer. However there's another circuit which runs from the same point which is protected by a 100mA rcd which is tripping. The 100mA RCD feeds a distribution board which supplies a calf feeder and a couple of sockets etc. Firstly I can't get my head around why a sub-circuit is tripping? Secondly, is there anything stopping us from upgrading it from a 100mA rcd to 300mA to stop the tripping? I've looked at the regs numerous times but nothing's too clear!

Many thanks

At the risk of stating the obvious.....are you absolutely sure there isn't a fault with the circuit which is tripping out or the equipment connected to it?

Last edited:
Yes. It has been 100% fine for years and the day the PV got installed, it started tripping. The 300mA PV RCD doesn't trip but the other sub-circuit does as it's it's only rated at 100mA. I know it's common for RCD's to trip because of a PV install (hence the 300mA RCD) but am struggling as to why it's tripping if it's on a seperate circuit

I can't say that I've ever experienced any problems with RCD tripping being caused by a PV installation - others may have of course. Where a transformerless inverter is used there is, at least in the case of SMA TL inverters, a manufacturer specification that additional RCDs feeding the PV circuit be of 100mA trip rating. Non TL inverters work quite happily with 30mA tripping RCDs.
What make/model are the inverters?
I think I'd still test the 'farm' circuit - that 'it's been working for years' argument doesn't figure 'coincidence' into the equation! :blush5:

We have installed a PV system which has 3 inverters and is protected by a 300mA RCCB. It runs directly back to the main incomer. However there's another circuit which runs from the same point which is protected by a 100mA rcd which is tripping.
Many thanks

When you say same point i assume you mean a henley block?

have you checked the connections, make sure you've not wiggled something loose a bit on the other circuit during the work?

The inverters are Solarmax 15MT. Tested the other circuit and it was fine. Yes runs off a henley block. Turned out to be an issue with one of the inverters so swapped it to a new one and it's good now. Still beyond me as to how it was tripping the other RCD!! But anyways.
Many thanks guys!

Reply to PV tripping another RCD on seperate circuit? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net