Discuss Query on what "power packs" from CoP 5.7 p29 means in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

anataboga

Hi folks,

First post so be gentle.

5.7 of the IEE CoP on p29 says:

5.7 Information technology equipment

Information technology (IT) equipment includes electrical business equipment such as computers and mains powered telecommunications equipment, and other equipment for general business use, such as mail processing machines, electric plotters, trimmers, VDUs, data terminal equipment, typewriters, telephones, printers, photo-copiers, power packs.

My query is specifically the use of "power packs". Does this refer to the PSU brick used to supply laptops and the like with 12v? They have an IEC lead giving 240v in and out comes a lead with 12v (or similar) that plug into the laptop.

This means from table 7.1 on p34 that this "power pack" comes under IT not M or P and thus gets an inspection at 24months and a test at 48?

TIA,
Anat.

yes treated as IT equipment but some customers think you are being stingy or cheating them out of the correct number of tests if you dont do a full PAT test on everything every year....so an office worker might start whining as they think you shouldn't be there anyway, the attitude is that if you are "going to take money off this company at least do everything in the building" a lot of people keep getting told that it is all an unecessary exercise and a waste of money, which it is not, but the people saying it think they know best...

Hi Guys
From my experience in It i can tell you that a goodly percenatge of these packs die or fall to bits long before 48 months many are kicked to bits under office desks and thrown in an out of laptop bags .Many of the leads just pull straight out of the casings and the casind often look ok but are cracked on closer inspection.

cheers 72-van

Reply to Query on what "power packs" from CoP 5.7 p29 means in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net