Discuss Question about Fuse Box in New Build in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

and how many CUs are fitted with those cheapo, nasty blanks in the cover over unused ways? any 4 year old child can flick a blank out and stick his/her fingers in , onto a live busbar. so why fix a CU where a 4 year old can reach it? political ineptness gone mad. cater for the small minority to the detriment of the majority.

Another reason why I like Hager boards with proper blanks that fit to the din rail and mimic the shape of MCBs and cannot be pulled out.

The height of the CU in new builds has nothing to do with being PC, it is entirely down to cost implications for the local authority. People with disabilities have access to all manner of government funded grants and many of the costs involved in converting houses to disabled use have to be met by the government or specifically the local authority. By implementing the positioning of CU's at 1200mm the government have ensured that every new house in the country has a CU that is accessible to all meaning that the cost of moving CU's for disabled access will eventually be a thing of the past........or am I just being pesimistic!:smilewinkgrin:

Building regs also say that CU's should not be readily accessible to children. I can see little johnny having a great time playing with all the shiny switches while "being a big boy".
Personally, I would tell them to put it slightly higher and enclose in a cupboard if I was buying the place. What you have photographed here is just ridiculous tbh.

sometimes the disability rules are taken too far,several years ago our house was remodernised by the council and they built a bathroom extension (single story) on the back.The door to bathroom is wide enough for a wheelchair as is door to garden and door into kitchen,door from kitchen to lounge is standard width so if we had a visitor who was in a wheelchair we would have to leave them in the garden or all sit in kitchen as they couldn,t get into lounge without leaving the wheelchair.Stupid or what?

I can see little johnny having a great time playing with all the shiny switches while "being a big boy".

Little Johnny AKA my son Carl had a great time when he found his way under the stairs back in the old days of Wylex plug in MCB’s. 2 eight way boards and 2 Crabtree RCD’s. 38 push buttons for him to play with, he was having a whale of a time. It was like a bloody disco with the lights flashing on and off.

The boards got moved soon after that, not because I wanted to, “she” issued the order!

Another “Carl” fix, I had to fit a push button on the side of the washing machine to enable the controls to stop him forever restarting it.

Reply to Question about Fuse Box in New Build in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net