Discuss question on how to obtain a licence as an electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Lucian

Hello, I'm sorry to bother you all, but I have a small question.

First, let me give you some details: I'm not from the UK, I have a qualification as a Electro-technician that is valid in the whole EU and around the world and 2 years of experience as an authorized electrician in my country.

Now, for the question: I'm a little bit confused as to the way you can become a fully qualified and authorized electrician in the UK. I want to get the equivalent in the UK of my current authorisation as a low voltage installation electrician.

What do I need to do? do I need to take some courses, or what? I know that I need to take the 17th edition exam at one point, but what do I need to do before that?and after that? can someone please help?

I eagerly await your response.

Hello, I'm sorry to bother you all, but I have a small question.

First, let me give you some details: I'm not from the UK, I have a qualification as a Electro-technician that is valid in the whole EU and around the world and 2 years of experience as an authorized electrician in my country.

Now, for the question: I'm a little bit confused as to the way you can become a fully qualified and authorized electrician in the UK. I want to get the equivalent in the UK of my current authorisation as a low voltage installation electrician.

What do I need to do? do I need to take some courses, or what? I know that I need to take the 17th edition exam at one point, but what do I need to do before that?and after that? can someone please help?

I eagerly await your response.
well..
firstly evening lucien.

now the question:

well...some would have it that it takes...hmm..about 5-6 weeks..

but enough of that bucket of bollocs...

college is the way...it may be that you only have to do short courses in order to get up on the way we do things here....but i couldn`t see that you would have to do 3 years...its just an upgrade to our regs etc...

If only the UK had such a qualified electrician Registration system Lucien. Unfortunately it doesn't, and why the industry is plagued with wannabe's that can't cut the mustard!!

You can always try an get your present qualifications adjudicated in the UK, and see where you go from there. You will need to gain the C&G 2382 which is the current BS7671 regulations qualification. Can't see you having much trouble with that one, it's an ''Open Book'' exam!!

If only the UK had such a qualified electrician Registration system Lucien. Unfortunately it doesn't, and why the industry is plagued with wannabe's that can't cut the mustard!!

You can always try an get your present qualifications adjudicated in the UK, and see where you go from there. You will need to gain the C&G 2382 which is the current BS7671 regulations qualification. Can't see you having much trouble with that one, it's an ''Open Book'' exam!!

I reckon my missus could pass it, genuinley - she has no interest in electrics, and thinks im a bellend when colleagues come around and we talk 'technical' (her words, not mine) but in all honesty, i reckon given a few attempts she'd be able to pass....which is extremley worrying, and down right disgusting.

The 2383 in all honesty may aswell be scrapped, open book and multiple choice - deary me, what is the actual point.

From Romania, perfect spelling, perfect punctuation,perfect english, big long words...........Wind up.

Boydy

Or unlike a lot of the younger posters on here knows how to use spell check, hence the AmericaniZed spelling.

As the OP can clearly be bothered to make sure his post is legible, accurate and has all the relevant information required for responses he's already one step ahead of some of the posters on here :)

My personal opinion for what it's worth..
If you can be bothered to make sure your spelling and grammar are correct in a post asking how to make sure you get the correct bridging qualifications that puts you more than one step ahead of the.....

"I haz in RCD trip wot keeps going hlp plz!" Brigade.

Who would you rather employ?
someone who takes the time to make sure they get things right or the guy next door wot lived ere al hiz lfe an did one of dem shrt corses.

:rant:

thank you all for your opinions, as for the spell check and americanized spelling, here are the facts:
1:by browser is set on english(united kingdom) so the spell check is in UK english(according to the browser)
2:I only had the occasion to talk to americans and american english speaking people, so pardon my syntax. as for the big words, and punctuation, I actually studied english for Cambridge Proficiency Test(dough never took it), plus, I worked as an electrician with foreigners to, so I had to put my technical english "in place" so to speak. plus, I had done 2 years worth of tech english during my studies at an electrical university(dropped it due to the system in our country).

so, from what I understand until now, I need to
gain the C&G 2382 which is the current BS7671 regulations qualification.

Reading between the lines I take it you want to get into domestic electrics? If so as I understand it you have two options to "qualifying" for house bashing:
1) Using your current EU quals which may be transferable to UK equivalents, do one of the 5 week courses, get yourself 'Part P' registered and away you go --- though you may still have to have some relevant UK certs (e.g. 17th edn)
2) Find yourself someone who will sponsor you to go to college to study the C&G route, NVQ's etc ..... over 3 years (modern apprenticeship) then get yourself Part 'P' qualified.

I would prefer to have people that know what they are doing rather than those that don't. If they know what they are doing they will probably ask for decent rates rather than undercuting everyone. Anyone else competing with "I will beat any quotation"?

Last edited by a moderator:
so, from what I understand until now, I need to

Not just the 2382.

People with just the 17th are by no means electricians unless they can prove otherwise.

C&G 2395 and 2394 aswell. Then if you want to be employed by certain companys you may need an NVQL3 aswell.

I do not mean to be rude here, and i don't doubt your intelligence for one minute - however, the qualifications you have for working in your own country, and throughout europe are irrelevant for the UK - we have a different set up here, and have over the top inspectors - ECA, Building, H+S ect... that you need to please regardless of whether you want to chin them or not.

Basically what im saying is, you have experience yes - but it doesn't warrant a short course. Do the proper courses and get the proper education here in the UK and be taken seriouslly. (nothing to me suggested you would be going down the lines of a short course, but i can imagine if you were confronted with it given your experience you'd probably jump at the chance.)

ok, then.
so, let me get this straight, in order for me to get a job as an electrician, doing domestic electrics(at the beginning of my career) I need to take 3 courses and exams?
Electrical installations (2382), Initial and fundamental inspection and testing (2394) and Periodic inspection and testing (2395) ?

Reply to question on how to obtain a licence as an electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net