Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Quick question regarding wiring a light. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Connor99z

Connor99z New EF Member

So i have my College level 2 practical exam on Wednesday and we need to produce a board following a sheet. on that board we need to produce and wire up a 2 way light switch, i have always had trouble wiring up lights and found it very complicated, i have been doing some research on some wiring diagrams but everywhere i look seems to be too complicated, i did come across this. I just need to know if this diagram is correct on wiring up a 2 way light switch ( 2 switches to one light ).

Screenshot - http://prntscr.com/jhesrg

Thankyou :)

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    that diagram is OK. you need to think the basics though. with 1 way switching you have a L and a S/L. these go into C and L1.

with 2 way, you just put these into L1 and L2.then link all 3 terminals to switch2.

3. gutterball

gutterball Electrician's Arms

I know this is going to sound harsh, but I would suggest that if you find something simple like 2 way switching is complicated, that you might want to think about a different career.

• Dislike Dislike x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 3
  4. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

i think so ,you have to crawl before you can run .we have all been there .this world is a learning curve.so when have you not come across a problem in life .

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Dillb

Dillb Electrician's Arms

Have you raised your concern with you tutor? If so what have they done to help you?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Connor99z

Connor99z New EF Member

Thank you for the reply, i get what you mean, the only thing i find complicated is when there is more than one and you have to start connecting a ton of wires to it, and then the whole putting sleeving onto the cables etc, Yes i know how to to wire it, it just gets confusing.

And like the guy said above about choosing a better career, i am only in Level 2 at college give me a break :eek:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

Just don't over complicate it in your head, as with everything with practical experience over time you'll find it becomes easier

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gareth Brookes

Gareth Brookes Active EF Member

Business Name:
    Home
    I am doing my level 2 practical assessment next month and your lighting circuit will be in pvc conduit in singles
    The circuit will be switch feed

9. Connor99z

Connor99z New EF Member

So the wiring diagram i linked up top will be what i need?

10. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

Your name automatically reminded me of the singer and now I can't get I got friends in low places out of my head, as if sleeping wasn't already hard enough!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gareth Brookes

Business Name:
    Home
    Neutral from ccu to n on ceiling rose

Line conductor from ccu to com on first switch

2 strappers from l1 and l2 of first switch to second switch

Com on second switch to s/l on ceiling rose

Also cpc every where

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gareth Brookes

Business Name:
    Home
    Lol

13. Gareth Brookes

Business Name:
    Home
    No the diagram above feed to the ceiling rose using the loop in loop out method

14. Gareth Brookes

Business Name:
    Home
    And that is t and e and 3 core

15. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

always helps to draw out your circuit beforehand on paper. Know what needs to be where concerning strappers and switch wires.
    The strappers, or pass wires as I knew them as, are a pair of cables that mean either one or the other is live at any time. That's what the 2-way switch does, connects the Common to either L1 or L2.
    Get that straight in your head, and you'll be onto intermediate switches in no time.
    Putting sleeving onto cables becomes second nature. Think about the second electrician coming to remove that switch and finding only browns?
    Don't annoy the plumber or plasterer once you get out onto jobs. They will snip off any identification given half a chance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1