Discuss Quoting before Results of the Consultation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SRE

I've heard this a few times now and wondered what everyone else is doing?

What to do between December 12 and December 23? - Solar Power Portal

I'm talking specifically about the qouting fiasco that is now about to erupt. There is no way there will be any feedback from the consultation on the 23rd December that is only when the consultation closes. So unless Greg Barker is going to announce something completely different that doesn't need consultation we're not going to be any better off until the decision after the consultation has been taken and announced.

Has anyone heard what that date might be? I can't see them giving up their turkey over Christmas so I reckon it's going to be at least the end of January by the time they have collated the responses and reported back, in fact that would be considered a speedy response by Parliamentary standards.

Will they delay it until the end of March, kill off a good portion of the industry then implement the C rating and kill the rest off?
Where is the REAL guidance (that we all pay for) for providing quotes to customers?
What happens if you quote using 21p and then it's cut further?

I don't have Tesco's legal brains - so I'm relying on you guys - what do you think????

I would suggest you tell it as it is. Quote using the 43.3p and the 21p rate, and state that as the consultation is now in progress there is no way to be certain exactly what will happen.

If you want to issues quotes between 12th Dec and whenever a decision is announced then I really can't see how you can do anything else.

I'll check back with previous consultations and see what sort of timescales were involved between end of consulting and decision published.

Just quote on both explaining, but in legal terms you cant do anything as its miss selling as you dont know the FIT rate, it was an argument in the parliamentary meeting from the solar association guy, i forget his name

I rang REAL yesterday and their response regarding this exact point was 'laughable'.

In effect they told me to be 'honest.'

So OK, I tell the customers that the industry is in crisis. 95% of solar companies will be forced to close either in the 2nd half of December or very early January as under your code of conduct we are not allowed to tell them anything that would actually make them want to buy a solar system.

I felt a bit sorry for the girl, she had to go off and ask one of her colleagues as well and came back with the same answer.

I'm sure you all feel completely and utterly done over- from the small start-ups like myself to the seasoned electricians among us, what a great industry to be able to become a part of. Making a good profit and 'doing your bit'.

I'm not a dodgy salesman so I will be honest with people and tell them exactly what the government has done to us.

The problem with quoting any figures at the moment is because believe it or not- this is still in consultation'. Any figure can be changed. The 21p that we all seem to be clinging to could change.

This means that we cannot sell any solar system now up until the 'actual' consultation is released which could be end of January if not longer.

I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that my 3 year old business may no longer be viable.

This means that we cannot sell any solar system now up until the 'actual' consultation is released which could be end of January if not longer.

I really do not see the problem. Yes, there are lots of balls in the air at the moment, but provided you explain that to the customer and do not misrepresent, then if they want to buy a system there is no law preventing you selling one.

Recent DECC consultation response times:

FiTs Extensions - started 27th July; closed 31st August; response published 27th September - 4 weeks
FiTs fast track - started 18th March; closed 6th May; response published 9th June - 5 weeks

This is what the REAL assurance consumer code says:-

Members must provide consumers with accurate information regarding incentives available for
installing small-scale generation at the consumer's property, such as the Feed-in Tariff for electricity
generators and the proposed Renewable Heat Incentive for heat generators in the future. When
calculating the value of the Feed-in Tariff for consumers, members should use a model based on a
reasonable set of assumptions which they must disclose to the consumer. Where possible the
Energy Saving Trust model should be used. It can be found at:
Cashback Calculator / Financial incentives / Generate your own energy / Home (United Kingdom) - Energy Saving Trust.

Some will have a problem some won't. I take the view life must go on. Just do what the REAL code says in your quote above: ".....use a model based on a
reasonable set of assumptions which they must disclose to the consumer."

I'm completely lost in what we should do ! I heard the other day the government what the Energy companies to raise the Generation rate from 3p. How can we sell solar, I have a conscious we really cannot sell until we know the facts. How can we explain this to our customers and gain their confidence in us when we don't have any confidence in the Government.

When are wholesalers going to drop their prices >? surely they will wait until the government has made its mind up. So what do we do in the mean time......go on strike !

I got about 3/4 of the way through the consultation yesterday before i fell asleep. One thing that did occur to me was the given the government is supposed to be reducing the bureaucracy for small businesses could we make the 21p work if we didn't have to spend so much time pen pushing???

If there wasn't a week of work behind every install then I think I'd be able to make enough money because I wouldn't need to build in as much admin time and I could potentialy get round more customers.

Personally, I'm not prepared to sell until I know exactly what I've got to sell, but it will be another point in my third long letter to my MP this weekend.

there are two points to this.

Firstly, in principle is it right for the govt. to do what it's done and leave us in (and endless) limbo (no, of course not).

But on a practical note I can't see anyone asking me for a quote from now till January at the very least.

And if they did ask I'd be tempted to put them off for a while: after a pretty busy 9 months and stupidly busy five weeks i'm ready to put my feet up... as i do an ocean of paperwork. If I could do the paperwork for each job in two hours (some chance with my organisation) it will take me almost two weeks to catch up with that.

I would say that most phone calls from customers are now going to end up in wasted surveys.

Most people that will be look at solar PV after the deadline will probably be unaware of the problems - they will have just seen a lot of installations being carried out recently. When they see the figures and then become aware of the cuts, they'll decide against it. I will be interested to hear other installers experiences in the Sun Lounge during that period.

Reply to Quoting before Results of the Consultation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net