Discuss Random electrical issue after new extension in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

I’ve got an issue driving me crazy and can’t get anyone to figure it out as it’s not their issue.

We had a new extension, single rear, double side. Side has utility, downstairs toilet and a bedroom above.

Rear has extended kitchen, all of it is on its own wiring. Except the oven which is on the old wiring and it’s own breaker.

Now for my issue.

The kitchen has - new induction hob (viceroy), new quooker, new dishwasher, new double oven (vanussi) and new stoves fridge freezer (all under 2months old).

The hob, keeps faulting with a fault code for high voltage e03 occasionally low voltage e04 And randomly beeps when not in use, single beep around 9-10:30pm. I’ve had the hob replaced, and the new one has the same faults. Either massive coincidence or not hob issue.

The oven today blew the bottom oven whilst in use. Hob was in use, a washing machine was in use on side extension circuit. When the quooker was used to wash food the oven blew and threw a fault code (f908) for power issue. They’re coming out to fix it.

I’ve had my electrician check it prior to everything going in and he was getting good readings, I got the electricity board out to check for high supply and they are getting 243v into my property which they say is fine as they can provide upto 253v. I’ve got a meter and I’m getting between 239-247 throughout the day to my hob. (I’m not touching any electrics apart from under to test the voltage safely).

All my appliances are rated 220-240v 50/60hz.

I get the high voltage error on my hob at any voltage, and even the low voltage error at any voltage but the high voltage error is most common like 95%.

Is this all coincidence and poor quality products, or can I have an underlying electrical issue which can’t be picked up by normal testing? My electrician is coming next week to do a full test but I’m not sure it’ll get picked up as my voltages appear fine.

I’m pulling my hair out as the hobs faulted in two seperate appliance and now my oven has died.

I managed to force my hob to fault, I tried it no fault code, then I tried it again whilst using the quooker and it faulted but I can’t repeat it so it may be a one off.

The hob also clears the fault within 10seconds and works fine.

Anyone any ideas? Please?

Quite a strange one, it’s hard to really say from all this.

It definitely isn’t a coincidence that all these appliances are all faulting / blowing, that would just be too good to be true.

First thought is, do you live close to an industrial area or a factory?
This could cause voltage spikes / drops as large equipment comes online / goes off, which could damage appliances if the spikes were large enough.

Then again that would be taken care of by the SPD, assuming one was fitted?

Did the electrician provide you with the Electrical Install Certificate?
Should be quite a few pages with a page for circuit test results.

If you wanted to blank out your information / his information that might give us some insight.

Quite a strange one, it’s hard to really say from all this.

It definitely isn’t a coincidence that all these appliances are all faulting / blowing, that would just be too good to be true.

First thought is, do you live close to an industrial area or a factory?
This could cause voltage spikes / drops as large equipment comes online / goes off, which could damage appliances if the spikes were large enough.

Then again that would be taken care of by the SPD, assuming one was fitted?

Did the electrician provide you with the Electrical Install Certificate?
Should be quite a few pages with a page for circuit test results.

If you wanted to blank out your information / his information that might give us some insight.
Nothing of note nearby, like I say the organisation tasked with maintaining the network have tested it form the cable entering my property at 243v with good neutral/earth.

No sign off yet as not fully finished, waiting on some finishing work before final fix of one room.

It’s weird how the hob appliance beeps by itself whilst off.

It’s weird how the hob appliance beeps by itself whilst off.
Most modern appliances a never off unless you switch off at the wall - they use electronic controls for all operations and those are powered at all times.

It certainly sounds like you are suffering from over-voltage as two appliances failing around the same time and location is very suspicious.

Are you on a typical single phase supply, or is this a big house with 3-phase (or due to having fast EV charger, etc)? A faulty neutral connection in a 3P system can cause this internally to your installation.

Otherwise you might want to get an electrician to set up a power logger to record your supply over a few days to see if it really is exceeding the limits set out in the ESQCR in which case the supply company has to act.

Most modern appliances a never off unless you switch off at the wall - they use electronic controls for all operations and those are powered at all times.

It certainly sounds like you are suffering from over-voltage as two appliances failing around the same time and location is very suspicious.

Are you on a typical single phase supply, or is this a big house with 3-phase (or due to having fast EV charger, etc)? A faulty neutral connection in a 3P system can cause this internally to your installation.

Otherwise you might want to get an electrician to set up a power logger to record your supply over a few days to see if it really is exceeding the limits set out in the ESQCR in which case the supply company has to act.
Thanks,

The only three phase thing is the induction hob. And they have been faulting since day one. The replacement faults exactly like my old one. It’s odd how my oven went at exactly the same time the quooker tap was used. I did colt check just as it did it as it was 239v.

Nothing else blew or popped in the house, all breakers stayed on etc.

The only three phase thing is the induction hob.
Could I clarify that please. The Viceroy induction hobs I'm aware of, including the one's with integrated ventilation, are 220-240V nominal single phase supply, even when 9kW. Do you really have 440V 3 phase coming into the house, and going to the hob, or is this a confusion of terminology?

Could I clarify that please. The Viceroy induction hobs I'm aware of, including the one's with integrated ventilation, are 220-240V nominal single phase supply, even when 9kW. Do you really have 440V 3 phase coming into the house, and going to the hob, or is this a confusion of terminology?
Maybe it’s my misunderstanding my electrician. It’s a single wire feed which splits into 3 wires. It is only getting 243v from outside

Just to help build the picture, do you have solar panels?
Hello,

No nothing. No electric car or solar. Nothing out the ordinary.

Also to be clear.

I have two RCD? Boards. One old house one new, the oven is on the old house and the hob and rest of the kitchen on new.

Hob is straight from the board
Kitchen is straight from the board
Oven is straight from the other board.

No trip switches tripped.

My electrician has been today and check the boards and ran some tests and he says he’s happy with all the readings. Voltages and earths all fine, it trips when he forces it to trip with his machines etc.

Reply to Random electrical issue after new extension in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net