Discuss Advice on Hoover Oven Installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm installing a Hoover oven and would like a little help please. The oven code is HOC3158IN.

The oven manual states "The power cable must be H05V2V2-F."Also "The plug and the socket
must conform to the current norms of the installation country."

The label on the side of the oven states Max power is 2190W.

There is also a Hoover electric hob - electrical power rating 6.6 kW hardwired to the cooker circuit.

My plan to install the new oven was as follows :

1) Connect a H05V2V2-F power cable to the oven

2) As the manual mentioned a plug (and max power is less than 3000W) connect a 13 amp plug to
the power cable.

There was an electrical socket with a switch on the back wall behind the oven which I used to plug in
the oven.

When I tested the oven by selecting the fan operated function the oven worked well for about 30
minutes but suddenly stopped - no power. Also power was lost in all electrical sockets in the kitchen.
On inspecting the consumer unit the RCD switch had tripped.

Could this be a fault in the radial circuit for the sockets in the kitchen ?

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm installing a Hoover oven and would like a little help please. The oven code is HOC3158IN.

The oven manual states "The power cable must be H05V2V2-F."Also "The plug and the socket
must conform to the current norms of the installation country."

The label on the side of the oven states Max power is 2190W.

There is also a Hoover electric hob - electrical power rating 6.6 kW hardwired to the cooker circuit.

My plan to install the new oven was as follows :

1) Connect a H05V2V2-F power cable to the oven

2) As the manual mentioned a plug (and max power is less than 3000W) connect a 13 amp plug to
the power cable.

There was an electrical socket with a switch on the back wall behind the oven which I used to plug in
the oven.

When I tested the oven by selecting the fan operated function the oven worked well for about 30
minutes but suddenly stopped - no power. Also power was lost in all electrical sockets in the kitchen.
On inspecting the consumer unit the RCD switch had tripped.

Could this be a fault in the radial circuit for the sockets in the kitchen ?

Thanks.
could be several things, a collective earth fault could be the reason, a faulty RCD could be the reason, loose cabling could be the reason, out of interest what cable have you used for the HOB?

The Hoover ceramic hob has the product code - HH64BVT. The hob was delivered
with the cable attached but no plug. I hardwired it to the cooker circuit.
On checking the installation instructions the cable type was HO5V2V2-F.

A new oven tripping its RCD is a topic that appears on this forum from time to time.
It can be symptomatic of moisture trapped in the element(s) if the unit has been is storage for a while.
This excessive earth leakage current is not necessarily a fault with the oven, just a feature of a new 'damp' element.
If you run it for a while, the leakage will reduce over time. You should find the oven will stay on for ever longer periods.

Turned on oven and this time it ran for almost one hour.
If it was a "damp element" issue then hopefully the element should now be clear of moisture.
Thanks Avo Mk8 for your excellent advice.

One last question -
There was is an electrical socket with a switch on the back wall of the opening for the oven. I used this to plug in the new oven. The problem is this "isolator switch" is not readily accessible. To access the switch would mean removing a long wooden plinth along the floor below the oven. It would then be necessary to crawl on the floor and stretch to reach the
switch.
Would it be safer to add another electrical socket on the wall above the oven so it would
be easily accessible ?

Off topic but I love winding my mate up with this, he says its time to clear up get the hoover (we have a Henry in the van). I love to point out to him time and time again - "its a vacuum not a hoover, hoover make fridges, washing machines, ovens etc". To drill home the point I then say "where have you parked the Ford so I can get the vacuum" (we have a Citroen).

Turned on oven and this time it ran for almost one hour.
If it was a "damp element" issue then hopefully the element should now be clear of moisture.
It will probably take more than a single one-hour run to get the leakage current right down. If it does cause a trip a couple of times more, don't be surprised. If it keeps doing it after weeks of use, you have a problem!
Would it be safer to add another electrical socket on the wall above the oven so it would
be easily accessible ?
This is another topic that crops up from time to time. You may get different answers, but below is a summary of the 'regulatory' position from a respected electrician. Ultimately you should decide on the basis of risk to you and your family, if a fire or other danger occurs with the oven, and it needs to be turned off quickly, would everyone know how to do that?

Reply to Advice on Hoover Oven Installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net