Discuss New oven has a plug, old oven is hard wired in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pawpaw

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
My current oven is hardwired to a fused connection plate with a 13Amp fuse inside and power switch. That is then connected to the MCB labelled kitchen. The MCB switch labelled cooker is actually connected to the hob. Could I cut the hardwired cable and connect an unfused plug socket, which would still be connected to the 13Amp fused connection plate, for the new oven?

Hi,
My current oven is hardwired to a fused connection plate with a 13Amp fuse inside and power switch. That is then connected to the MCB labelled kitchen. The MCB switch labelled cooker is actually connected to the hob. Could I cut the hardwired cable and connect an unfused plug socket, which would still be connected to the 13Amp fused connection plate, for the new oven?
First thing to say is that it's desirable to have a method of isolation for the oven somewhere near it in the kitchen, and not hidden behind a cupboard or behind the oven itself. You don't mention where the accessories are that you have at the moment.
Having said that, some suggest that if the fuse board is nearby, the MCB can be used as the method of isolation (though probably not 2-pole). But in your case the MCB's are mislabelled, so I suggest fixing that.
Making assumptions about the cable being suitable, you could do as you suggest, but why cut the cable (you mean the cable coming out of the connection plate? - you would then have a socket dangling on the end of a wire?). Could you not just replace the fused connection plate/switch with a 13A socket. Or alternatively cut the plug off your new oven and wire it where your old oven is connected?

Reply to New oven has a plug, old oven is hard wired in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net