Discuss Putting UK plugs on hard wired appliances in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

philch1

DIY
Reaction score
I purchased a new-build apartment 10 years ago, which came with a fitted oven and microwave. Both appliances are described by the manufacturer (AEG) as hard wired. I recently purchased a new hard wired microwave, but the installer discovered that there was only a socket behind the microwave. He cut the plug from the old microwave and attached it to the new one. He checked the oven for me, and discovered that also had a plug. I was planning to replace the oven next.
Should I consider getting an electrician to replace the current plug sockets with hard wired points instead? If so, how much should I expect to pay?

I purchased a new-build apartment 10 years ago, which came with a fitted oven and microwave. Both appliances are described by the manufacturer (AEG) as hard wired. I recently purchased a new hard wired microwave, but the installer discovered that there was only a socket behind the microwave. He cut the plug from the old microwave and attached it to the new one. He checked the oven for me, and discovered that also had a plug. I was planning to replace the oven next.
Should I consider getting an electrician to replace the current plug sockets with hard wired points instead? If so, how much should I expect to pay?
Most appliances come with a plug fitted if they are rated 13amp.or under. If not I would just fit a plug top. If it's rated greater than 3kw then it's a different matter all together.
Changing a socket to an outlet would only take a sparky 15 mins including testing it I would think. Assuming of course access is easy and he is not having to move your kitchen appliances 😂

Reply to Putting UK plugs on hard wired appliances in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net