Discuss Range Rover steering column motors in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
1706516348742.pngSo this is the wiring schematic for a RR Vogue steering column - in itself nothing spectacular, just two motors making it go up/down and in/out. Except, looks to me that each motor has a PL and effectively a single SL coming from off a digital controller (it links in with memorised seat positions). My question is, with only one SL to a motor, how do we reckon they're made to move in both rotations?? Because, I need to make one work manually as the switch/ECU is fried. Or, is it likely that there's actually an embedded controller within the motor that's just not drawn that is processing a digital signal? If the latter then I'm probably screwed.....

Have you spoken to land rover over you problem, recantly went looking at the new RR vouge, nice car until I found, out it's the most wonder full car to Nick. I could make a advert for them.

Have you spoken to land rover over you problem, recantly went looking at the new RR vouge, nice car until I found, out it's the most wonder full car to Nick. I could make a advert for them.
They are! And almost impossible to insure because of it. Mine is a 20yr old project that I got for a song to do up and be of use when we're underwater down here but even so they're still phenomenal machines and superb to drive. I've the 4.4v8 supercharged engine and that thing will shift 2.6+T of vehicle from 0-60 in pretty much the same time as hot hatch material!!

As UNG said, at this age they're now into 'enthusiasts' realm - I got the schematic off of another Land Rover forum!! 😂

I've seen YouTube of people doing just that with them!

its DC.... to move in both directions we just reverse the polarity, dont we?
Not necessarily. With canbus control there could be a permanent supply to the motor and the ECU sends a data signal to the motor to tell it what it should do. The motor control board will send a position signal back to the ECU and by talking to each other they decide the position that the motor should stop. Reversing the polarity will just fry the control board. It's the same with model railways. Used to be a case of just connect 12v one way and the train goes in one direction. Reverse the polarity and it goes the other way. Now with what's called DCC there's a permanent voltage to the track and you can control various trains at the same time, turn on/off loco lights, add sound etc.

Not necessarily. With canbus control there could be a permanent supply to the motor and the ECU sends a data signal to the motor to tell it what it should do. The motor control board will send a position signal back to the ECU and by talking to each other they decide the position that the motor should stop. Reversing the polarity will just fry the control board. It's the same with model railways. Used to be a case of just connect 12v one way and the train goes in one direction. Reverse the polarity and it goes the other way. Now with what's called DCC there's a permanent voltage to the track and you can control various trains at the same time, turn on/off loco lights, add sound etc.
I think it's exactly that! But next job is stripping out airbags in order to remove the steering wheel itself to hopefully then ditch the cowlings the hard way (they need replacing anyway) and get some light on the subject. Believe it or not, I need to do all this to fix an ABS issue!!!

I think it's exactly that! But next job is stripping out airbags in order to remove the steering wheel itself to hopefully then ditch the cowlings the hard way (they need replacing anyway) and get some light on the subject. Believe it or not, I need to do all this to fix an ABS issue!!!
Ensure you disconnect the battery before you remove the air bag, otherwise you will never get the airbag warning light to go out, even LR could not get it to go out on my LSE.

Ensure you disconnect the battery before you remove the air bag, otherwise you will never get the airbag warning light to go out, even LR could not get it to go out on my LSE.
Absolutely already done! The comedy of this situation was me explaining (with aid of a wipeboard, naturally) to the OH last night that in order to fix the brakes I first need to fix the drivers seat controls. Because clearly someone in the LR engineering design dept had been smoking crack that day.

According to your diagram both motors are fed with a permanent positive supply directly from fuse number 20. They also have a permanent negative (ground) connection. They then have a CANBUS data connection with the seat memory ECU which will send them instructions on this bi-directional data link. The motors themselves have some kind of onboard intelligence that will control the direction they run in, stop and start the motor and monitor a top and bottom limit sensor to turn it off when the position limit is reached. It may also send motor speed and column position data back to the seat memory ECU as well I'd guess.

Unfortunately to know the exact sequence of operation and communications you'd need to find a mechanic who has paid for access to manufacturers service data.

Looking at the photo below, assuming yours is like this or similar, looks like they have a connection box with wizardry and Canbus (or similar) to it and a pair out to the motor and probably position sensing on the end of the motor.

It should be as simple as a double pole double throw centre off switch for each motor, with Pos and Neg in and motor out.
I won't explain how, it's pretty straighforward, as I don't want R.R pinching the idea 🤣

Attachments

• RR steering motor.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 7

Reply to Range Rover steering column motors in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock