Discuss Rated People etc any good or rip off ? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BrianDB9

What do people think of these ? Rated people seems to charge £40 +VAT per quarter and then £5 ish for a lead on a £100 job , and 2 other folk will be charged same too, id be interested if anyone found these schemes worthwhile ?

you can do business through them , but be careful. most customers go for the cheapest quote even thogh the contractor may have less competence than a goldfish.

Sounds like they about as much use as your reply ?

No just sick fed up with people who are lazy with the why bark if you have a dog attitude .Hence why you aint getting a lot of replies.

Please feel free to report my attitude to the admin cos probably need a rest

Very interesting Thread and Question, as I was about to post and ask the very same question. I have been with Rated People for about 2+months having last year started out on my own after years of sub contracting, and saw it as a practical tool to gain work and from that, build up a business and wanted to throw this out there.
My opinion of them, now I have got to grips with the concept and the practicalities of the scheme is pretty indifferent, and what in reality they do and how they go about it from an Electrical prospective is becoming evident and as such very alarming in my view.
My primary concern is that I believe them to be a vehicle which in the long run can only further encourage rouge, un - qualified electricians– poor workmanship and works that have not been correctly selected, erected andtested as per BS 7671. May I expand?
· To start with there is no formal registration ofqualifications asked for by RP.
· One just has to look at the jobs and the price structure e.g. recent examples I have got. Full Test to be done on my 3 bed house– budget under £100.00 or I want new down lights and socket in my existing kitchen Budget [Supply and fit] – Under £100.00. The issue I have with this as a qualified NICEIC Approved with 37 years expericance Electrician with 2391 andCOMPEx. Who can do the above work and do it properly with accountability for the price given? You cannot unless the work is thrown in hence the work is been given to people who are prepared to do it for zip. Do the maths £100 job -less lead £7.20 less petrol say £5.00 full test for under £90.00????
· Also I have learnt the hard way, when I put this to RP saying in my opinion a 3 bedhouse cannot have a full EICR report done for £100.00 they said buy the lead and then say to client the job will be more that the budget price. Great I buy lead, call client tell him it will be more than £100.00 he says no must be done for under £100.00. Can I get my money back for that waste of time NO because by me offering and saying it will be more that the budget that is construed as giving a Quote. But the scary thing is the work is getting done and by who.
· Recently bought a local lead on a recent weekend Sunday when it was freezing. Job was Urgent - Lost power to heater fuse blown and cannot get fuse out as all melted ????? Budget £100 job 5.2 milesaway. Bought it as to see if anything I could be of help in cold weather. Got voice on phone after polite intro “Howmuch” Call out on weekend min 90 min of my time to resolve fault and test - lead price - petrol - spare Wylex fuse and fuse holder in van £35.00 pounds. They laughed me off the phone.
· The other waste of time you get lead call client and you get HOW MUCH?? you explain do not know as you need to at very least look at job for accurate quote. NO is thereply give me a price over the phone. So I am very very reluctant to startbuying leads at £50 + a pop.
To speak to RP is at best a waste of space have tried talking to staff to see if my input may help all parties falls on deaf ears. Now think best bet is take your cash and put it on a bet with the bookies at 3/1 and hope for the best as I think the return will be better in long run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep I did the math and like you it did not add up but they pray on the weak christ a painter gets more money doing out a lounge and does not take half the risks we do

signed up to have a look, average lead price £10, wont be hard to get 5 leads a day and lose them to some cowboys (yeah there is lots of cowboys around) 50 quid down the bin. account cancelled.

AMLU Yeah as I said in my piece I believe Electrically they are promoting and are an incubator for cowboys as the clients who are requesting the work are not interested in standards regs quality and the whole 10 yards they just want it for as cheap as possible so ride in the cowboys.

Your £50 quid put on a bet at 3/1 could have been £150 up + your £50 back not a bad return rather than throwing it down the bin. Not that I promote gambling!!!

Very interesting Thread and Question, as I was about to post and ask the very same question. I have been with Rated People for about 2+months having last year started out on my own after years of sub contracting, and saw it as a practical tool to gain work and from that, build up a business and wanted to throw this out there.
My opinion of them, now I have got to grips with the concept and the practicalities of the scheme is pretty indifferent, and what in reality they do and how they go about it from an Electrical prospective is becoming evident and as such very alarming in my view.
My primary concern is that I believe them to be a vehicle which in the long run can only further encourage rouge, un - qualified electricians– poor workmanship and works that have not been correctly selected, erected andtested as per BS 7671. May I expand?
· To start with there is no formal registration ofqualifications asked for by RP.
· One just has to look at the jobs and the price structure e.g. recent examples I have got. Full Test to be done on my 3 bed house– budget under £100.00 or I want new down lights and socket in my existing kitchen Budget [Supply and fit] – Under £100.00. The issue I have with this as a qualified NICEIC Approved with 37 years expericance Electrician with 2391 andCOMPEx. Who can do the above work and do it properly with accountability for the price given? You cannot unless the work is thrown in hence the work is been given to people who are prepared to do it for zip. Do the maths £100 job -less lead £7.20 less petrol say £5.00 full test for under £90.00????
· Also I have learnt the hard way, when I put this to RP saying in my opinion a 3 bedhouse cannot have a full EICR report done for £100.00 they said buy the lead and then say to client the job will be more that the budget price. Great I buy lead, call client tell him it will be more than £100.00 he says no must be done for under £100.00. Can I get my money back for that waste of time NO because by me offering and saying it will be more that the budget that is construed as giving a Quote. But the scary thing is the work is getting done and by who.
· Recently bought a local lead on a recent weekend Sunday when it was freezing. Job was Urgent - Lost power to heater fuse blown and cannot get fuse out as all melted ????? Budget £100 job 5.2 milesaway. Bought it as to see if anything I could be of help in cold weather. Got voice on phone after polite intro “Howmuch” Call out on weekend min 90 min of my time to resolve fault and test - lead price - petrol - spare Wylex fuse and fuse holder in van £35.00 pounds. They laughed me off the phone.
· The other waste of time you get lead call client and you get HOW MUCH?? you explain do not know as you need to at very least look at job for accurate quote. NO is thereply give me a price over the phone. So I am very very reluctant to startbuying leads at £50 + a pop.
To speak to RP is at best a waste of space have tried talking to staff to see if my input may help all parties falls on deaf ears. Now think best bet is take your cash and put it on a bet with the bookies at 3/1 and hope for the best as I think the return will be better in long run.

A very useful post - you've obviously done a lot of work on it - many thanks.

Well that was worth a half hour search and reading old threads.

At the start of a quiet week (Good old H&S and Guildford Borough Council at worst delaying a job for which I've already shelled out £600 on materials) I thought I'd look into these 'check a rated hammer' sites.

Looks like the consensus is "Don't bother"...

I think we should get together and do one for CLIENTS though...:66:

Well done for doing a search and then reading it instead of being like some who are too lazy so end up putting in a repeat post

Yeah I know what you mean, I find it easier to find and reply to old posts than doing a whole new thread and having to type everything already said all over again!

Reply to Rated People etc any good or rip off ? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net