Discuss Rcbo in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Southern22

Might seem a daft question but just want to make sure. Friend phoned me saying their sockets were tripping, went out and had a look and the circuits on a 32a 30ma RCBO (it was the type which is sort of double din size with the mcb part on the left an the rcd part on the right with the switch that hangs over the arm of the mcb so if the rcd goes it brings off the breaker, prob got its own name but first time I've seen one)

Both switches were off so I guess the rcd took the breaker out. Does this then mean it's tripping due to an earth fault and not overload or a short circuit. Obviously I'm going to test it but just wanted to clarify for these types of RCBOs.

Thanks and sorry if this was a painful read haha

Might seem a daft question but just want to make sure. Friend phoned me saying their sockets were tripping, went out and had a look and the circuits on a 32a 30ma RCBO (it was the type which is sort of double din size with the mcb part on the left an the rcd part on the right with the switch that hangs over the arm of the mcb so if the rcd goes it brings off the breaker, prob got its own name but first time I've seen one)

Both switches were off so I guess the rcd took the breaker out. Does this then mean it's tripping due to an earth fault and not overload or a short circuit. Obviously I'm going to test it but just wanted to clarify for these types of RCBOs.

Thanks and sorry if this was a painful read haha
Are you an Electrician or is this a DIY question, I am not trying to offend just enquiring because there are steps to know what has happened and how to sort it out, but it is electrical knowledge which is required and I am guessing your not quailified, apologies if you are, if you are then the words "test kit" will be the solution rather than guessing.

You need to do some testing Souther22 IR test should tell you if you have a poor insulation resistance, have you tried clamp testing with a clamp meter that has a mili amp scale?

I'm an apprentice (18 months in) with my level 3 2394 2395 2382 and 2377 just waiting for nvq to get signed. I'm not asking about the situation, I'm going to carry out all the correct steps to identify the fault, I stopped by on the way back from work so had no tools with me that's why I didn't look further. My question is about the specific type of RCBO as have never seen one like this.

I'm an apprentice (18 months in) with my level 3 2394 2395 2382 and 2377 just waiting for nvq to get signed. I'm not asking about the situation, I'm going to carry out all the correct steps to identify the fault, I stopped by on the way back from work so had no tools with me that's why I didn't look further. My question is about the specific type of RCBO as have never seen one like this.
Ah that explains it, and yes there are dual RCBOs about, the switches are linked so either the mcb or the rcd bit can trip both, time to get the test kit out

Read back on the original post and tbf does sounds very amateur, think I was focusing too much on trying to explain the RCBO and not enough on not sounding like a bellend haha

Read back on the original post and tbf does sounds very amateur, think I was focusing too much on trying to explain the RCBO and not enough on not sounding like a bellend haha
Your a trainee, no issues m8, you have asked a decent question and you won't get any stick for it as your training.

a stickis used to correct an apprentice when he /she makes a mistake. it don't work with Electrical Trainee's as they know everything.

18 MONTHS into an apprenticeship, and you have completed you're level 3 qualifications and NVQ Level 3, pull the other leg son, it's got bells on!! The 2377 was a dead give away!! lol!!

Reply to Rcbo in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net