Search the forum,

Discuss Rcd Needed For An Outside Light? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Benny_Boy

Evening fellas,

I'm doing an outside light for my neighbour as a minor for my NICEIC assessment.
The house is on a fairly ancient consumer unit with what look like square-d breakers. Haven't had the cover off yet, just a brief glance so not sure if bonding is present let alone effective. Obviously not an RCD in sight.

Only 4 circuits, sockets, lights, immersion, kitchen socket. The last chap had even left info+diagrams in the CU!

If I stick a switched fused spur on the sockets upstairs will it need to have an rcd to protect any subsequent wiring for the light? I'm planning on chopping in next to an existing socket (still mounted in skirting board) and going straight out the backbox with some carbon black 1.5mm flex, out the wall and straight into the light with probably 50mm flex exposed before it terminates.

My understanding is that as it's not a socket outlet it won't need an RCD to comply. The additional wiring (just to extend the ring through the spur) won't be at a depth greater than 50mm but I've just read some blurb from Elecsa which seemed to suggest that the cable up to the spur would not need to be RCD protected, and if that doesn't need and RCD then I can't see how the cable for the PIR security light would need one.

I realise we're only talking about the cost of an RCD FCU as opposed to a regular FCU but I would like to have it clear in my own mind.

Sorry for the essay,

Any thoughts chaps?

many thanks
Ben

Any thing outside of the equipotential zone of the house needs RCD protection, however, as its a light on the house wall, we need to know can anybody touch this light and be in contact with the general mass of earth , how high up the wall is it ? This is a good question of yours and may get a few replies- I am getting the books out !!

Any thing outside of the equipotential zone of the house needs RCD protection, however, as its a light on the house wall, we need to know can anybody touch this light and be in contact with the general mass of earth , how high up the wall is it ? This is a good question of yours and may get a few replies- I am getting the books out !!

It's out of reach and approx 4m up the wall. Pole vaulters might have a good stab but apart from that it's only going to be birds.

Last edited by a moderator:
411.3.3 only seems to talk about allowing exceptions for socket outlets for skilled people or specifically labelled equipment.

or am I being a berk. (has happened before):)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Rcd Needed For An Outside Light? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock