Discuss RCD Trip Times in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

BigSi

-
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]I was talking to one of my friends who just had his NICEIC DI assessment (about five months ago). We got talking about RCD trip times, because he was told that what he believed in (and myself) was wrong?[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
RCD (30mA) TRIP TIMES (17[SUP]th[/SUP] Edition Regulation 411.3.2.2. – Table 41.1)[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]For a nominal a.c.voltage not exceeding 230v, disconnection times are not exceed[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] For a final circuit not exceeding 32A in a TT system 200ms (0.2 sec)[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] For a final circuit exceeding 32A in a TT system 1000ms (1 sec)[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] For a distribution circuit in a TT system 1000ms (1 sec)[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]For a final circuit not exceeding 32A in a TN system 400ms (0.4 sec)[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] For a final circuit exceeding 32A in a TN system 5000ms (5 sec)[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] For a distribution circuit in a TN system 5000ms (5 sec)[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]He was also saying that when you peform an Inspection & Test, if the consumer unit isn’t a 17[SUP]th[/SUP] edidion board, it needs upgrading. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]My take was that as long as it complied with the current regulation at that time (16[SUP]th[/SUP] Eddition), and didn’t pose any additions risks (all circuits protected by RCD’s, etc), than it would be fine. Or give it a Code 3 – improvement recomended. [/FONT]

Must make extra sockets an expensive job.. you cant insist on a CU change on every job. As long as your work complies then its fine. No Rcd would get code 3 unless its feeding sockets for outside then code 2

You will attend lots of premises that don't even have rcd,s but that doe not mean that the system is unsafe or needs changing. We can recommend as good safe practice but there is no compulsion on the owner to upgrade.
Ben

so what about older installations with no RCD whatever. still a code C3 unless as bigbad pointed out a code C2 if fo outside use.

Reply to RCD Trip Times in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net